Is LER(r) a real word? Flasher/DaengBireley/ScumBa

luckyfarang

I am having a disagreement with Orandanodes, whose expertise I respect, on this and I may also end up owing Markle an apology.

I am saying that LER® is an actual word, and I seem to remember learning it years ago from an AUA textbook. Markle, PvtDick, Orandanodes and possibly Samak are saying that it is just a corruption of the word REU®.

If I am wrong about this, it is part of the risks involved with learning to speak Thai without learning to read and write.

I never said that it was the best way to learn to speak, just a quicker way.

I would like to hear some opinions from Flashermac, Scum_Baggio, Noo6, Daeng Bireley, BKK_Shaggy, Dan, PhilJames and other accomplished speakers of Thai.

Orandanodes says that LER® at the end of a sentence is just a shortening and mispronounciation of REU® PLAO.

In this old thread, Pvt Dick seems to agree:

long URL

<<Used alone, it means "really???", expressing a tone of semi-disbelief or surprise. In this instance, it sounds most often like "luhhh?" (rising tone).>>

So PvtDick would seem to agree with my translation as "Is that so?" or "Is that a fact?" when used alone, and agrees with the pronounciation as LER®, but he disagrees with me that it is a separate word from REU®.

The meanings of "or" and "Is that so?" are so totally different, that it just feels like they must be completely different words.

But that kind of uncertainty is the disadvantage of learning to speak without learning to read and write.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Luckyfarang

When it comes to the pronounciation you will often hear reu pronounced ler or even lor. I am sure that you are familiar with the thai inability to pronounce Ror Reua correctly.

I see thai in chat groups use "Lor" all the time.

<<Used alone, it means "really???", expressing a tone of semi-disbelief or surprise. In this instance, it sounds most often like "luhhh?" (rising tone).>>

It sounds to me more like a high tone, my wife definitely hits the high pitches when she uses it in this way.

Orandanodes says that LER® at the end of a sentence is just a shortening and mispronounciation of REU® PLAO.

I don`t agree. Reu Plao is a "question word" used at the end of a sentense to convey the meaning: Or Not?

In this case itt is the "question word" Reu which also means Or as you correctly has stated. Spelled the same way.

Scumbaggio?? I think he made his last post here more than a year ago :)

Cheers

Hua Nguu

They're right, you're wrong. I learnt from Linguaphone, which introduces it as "reu" (often pronounced as "lur"). I never hear people use the "reu" version in speech. Perhaps I don't mix with the right crowd.

The same word also means "or" but when it does, it is often pronounced reu with a high tone. In Thai script, however, both the question word and the or are written the same way.

Hi,

I came from old Thai school and we do speak the "r" and all my Thai friends and family do speak the "r". Actually it disturbs me and many Thais to hear the "r" pronounced as a "l". I hate that word "falang" :banghead:

[color:"red"]Orandanodes says that LER® at the end of a sentence is just a shortening and mispronounciation of REU® PLAO.

[/color]

Don't think so. "ReuPloa" means "or not" and "reu" in the end of sentences normally make the sentences questions.

Allow me a soap box. I do have hangups on the "r", I can understand the Isaan people saying the "r" as a "l" because their native language does not contain the "r". However, when ones prononce the "r" or lacking of it, the words can mean completely different things. For example, "Khrup" pronounce as "khup" means "tight" not the polite ending for male speakers. Another example is "khroo" (teacher) pronounced as "khoo" becomes a "ditch".

Just like if I say "I like to eat lice everyday", which most people know that I meant "rice" but why insist on using "lice" knowing that it is wrong.

I think it is important to speak a good language, no matter what language that is. If ones are going to spend time learning, why not learn the correct way? Same amount of energy, really. :bow:

Jasmine

"""""Orandanodes says that LER® at the end of a sentence is just a shortening and mispronounciation of REU® PLAO.

Don't think so. "ReuPloa" means "or not" and "reu" in the end of sentences normally make the sentences questions""""".

Of course "Rue" and "Rue Plao" are not exactly the same. What I was trying to say is that they both imply a question, and that the word "rue" in both is one and the same.

By saying "or not" one is effectively questioning the the stement made in front of that. There's no real differnce in meaning between the two, if at the end of a sentence.

In fact IMO "rue" at the end of a sentence still translates into "or". Like "is this true or (what/not etc.)

Ching Rue, Ching Rue Plao, Ching Rue Mai, all comes down to the same

"In fact IMO "rue" at the end of a sentence still translates into "or". Like "is this true or (what/not etc.)"

I think this is a good explanation for use of the "rue" or "ler". For example you're fairly certain your neighbor is on her way to the market and you say, (ja) pai talaat rue (Going to the market?). Just making conversation, being polite.

a lot of the boardmembers you are addressing have retired from the board already.

i have asked several thais, how the "ler" at the end of the sentence is written and surprisingly i got several different answers. however all confirmed that rue and ler are different words and are written differently

versions i got were: àËÃà àÃà àÃéà some even wrote it with lor ling; it seems that ler is also spoken with different tones (first version would be rising tone, second middle, third high). i can't find any in a dictionary; this is very informal spoken thai and this word is usually not written. so the thais write it, as they hear it.

in informal spoken thai the word rue plao sometimes even is shortened to bao ºèÒÇ

Hi lf,

From what I was taught, you are right, there are two separate words. LER at the end of a sentence makes it into a question (like mai) but when in the question you have said something you think is likely to be true - i.e. a guess. "mai" is used when you really don't know the answer. LER is also used alone as a sort of comment when somebody is telling you something - meaning "is that right?", "really?" in the way you would say the same in English.

In fact LER is close in meaning and use to "chai mai", also used to make a question. I was told by TGF that I should try not to say LER because it is commonly used by women but not by men. She said I should use "chai mai" instead if at all possible.

I have been told more than once that farangs often come over as speaking like women - different phrases and usages - and of course the reason is obvious. I was told once by a BG that I speak with and Isaan accent. No explanation necessary.

Reue, meaning "or" is a different word. I believe there is some doubt and uncertainty about how LER is supposed to be written.

But maybe I'm wrong. :dunno:

Khwai

Asked whom? A professor of Thai? Depending on whom you ask and how you phrase the question you're bound to get a number of different answers. Many native English speakers seem to think one can construct a plural with an apostrophe but that doesn't make it so. I suggest that if you can't find it in any dictionary then that suggests strongly that it isn't a word!

Archived