WHere to pay $ for US VISA

rovineye

The Embassy web page says you can pay for the VISA at any authorized post office in the BKK metropolitan area. But will they take a payment receipt from Chiang Mai at the Bangkok Embassy?

If not, I assume the NANA Post office is authorized, or is there one near the Embassy? Anyone know hours?

I would rather pay in CM and go to Embassy the first morning rather than waste the first day at the post office in BKK.

Thanks.

I am confused by your comments. There is a cashier's window inside the US Citizens Services section of the visa office of the US Embassy. It accepts US Dollars in payment for embassy services, and issues a receipt to that effect. Depending upon the line at that window, you may end up waiting 15-20 minutes, but you are right there inside the visa building.

Perhaps I misunderstand the qusetion?

"Let the good times roll!"

Stone Soup

Stone Soup,

I don't know why the visa application fee must be paid at the post office. Most other fees are paid at that window I expect. But here is what the US Embassy web site says: (BTW, this is how it was done in Chiang Mai also).

1. Pay the Processing Fee.

The processing fee must be paid at any post office in the Bangkok metropolitan region that is authorized to receive bill payments. The processing fee for all nonimmigrant visa categories is the Thai baht equivalent $100 [NOTE: Receipts issued for $65 before November 1 will continue to be accepted as full payment through November 30.] No application will be processed before this fee is paid (except persons with diplomatic passports who are eligible for no-fee visas). The post office visa fee receipt must be presented with the nonimmigrant visa application; make sure that the post office gives the recipient a receipt. Please note that this fee is not refundable, even if the visa is refused. This fee must be paid each time that an application is made.

There was a small post office behind the Sindhorn(?) building (tall brown building across the street from the visa services) that is familiar with the type of fee you're paying. It's not a typical money order and a certain procedure needs to be followed. I can't remember the hours but they don't open before 8:30AM.

GPO opens earlier and they may allow you to do the transaction a little before official opening hours (they did for me once). When they see it's the visa fee they will be certain all is in order. Hopefully another member can give you the actual business hours. Have fun.

GPO is a ways away. The Thai Comm web page says 156 post offices accept the US visa payment. Looks to be every place that has bill pay services. Of course they don't list them. I would be surprised if NANA was not one of them. And you are right, they are open at 8:30. But am willing to bet that a beautiful Northern Lisu girl at the door can get them to open early (I will hide). But still too tough to get to the embassy by 9am.

Ah shit. What am I thinking. We arrive at the airport at 13:15, so(traffic allowing :)) we will pay it the day before she applies!(they close at 17:00).

I am confused by your comments. There is a cashier's window inside the US Citizens Services section of the visa office of the US Embassy.
Tourist visa fee must be paid at a Thai Post Office and this has been the case for years now. First you have to find the exchange rate of the day from the post office, fill out a form, stand in line (Express Mail line at my local office), pay fee, receive receipt. You then give the receipt with passport/info to visa window at Consulate.

Am sure there would be no problem using a receipt from Chiang Mai but you could call to make sure.

Original post may no mention of "non-immigrant" visa. I processed both my Thai wife and son for an immigrant visa to USA, and we had to pay US $325 for each - and we paid at the window at the US Citizens Services Section of the embassy. But this was in year 2000 - after their immigration was approved by US Immigration service.

I have no experience with tourist visa, so I defer to those with applicable experience there.

The Fighting Fish

Archived