Your Father's Name

Fidel

Have you noticed how Thai people, especially kids, love to take the piss out of each other by calling them by their father's name or even just by mentioning their father's name?

I've asked what this is about but I always get a vague kind of 'it's not polite' answer.

Can anyone fill me in?

:dunno:

probably in this case, the father has a funny name or they pronounced the name a bit different so it results in a impolite word.

could you let us know, what name was called?

i have never heard that this is a general habit of thai kids.

Hi Samak,

It seems that in general, saying someone's father's name is insulting in Thai culture. I work with Thai kids and I see this a lot.

I often have kids run up to me and point at a kid standing close by and say "Father's name Somchai" and ask me to say it and laugh. Regardless of the name the kids get a real laugh from it.... and the victims no end of embarassment.

Fathers and mothetrs name in fact. Kids start calling the victim by the father or mothers name. I had first hand experience with this when I was an exchange student a couple of my host sisters friends asked me my host mother's name. Not knowing, I told them and she got teased about it constantly.

Why? I have no idea. I guess it's like people don't like others knowing their middle name. I do know that bad mouthing a person's father or mother is a really serious insult here (much more that the whole "Yo Mama.."thing)

I have seen fights started at school when I was teaching that started because of this.

couple of other juicy ones:

'hii mae mueng' or the international 'ai jet mae' :applause:

Or one I used on a longtail boot captain who made a disparaging remark about one of my friends (female - not girlfriend) "Mae mueng bpen sohpaynee nahn riplao?" I thought he was going to blow a gasket as all his mates started laughing hysterically at his having been one upped by a farang. I think I remember one asking him "jing mai?" To which he let off with a spray of expletives. My friends and I made our exit while he was occupied defending his now broken honor with his mates.

Another memory that always cracks me up is when a little girl about 10 and a little boy about 6 were having a fight on Koh Phi Phi in front of my dive shop. The girl was getting the best of boy and was teasing him mercilessly. At one point the boy kicked off his sandal and pointed to the sole of his foot and then the little girl's face. At this the little girl started screaming and picked up a stick and tried to hit the little boy. One of the shop owners grabbed her as she was within striking distance. All the other little kids were in fits of laughter at the older girl. Quite amusing scene.

onquote=Brink15] </font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

couple of other juicy ones:

'hii mae mueng' or the international 'ai jet mae' :applause:

Or one I used on a longtail boot captain who made a disparaging remark about one of my friends (female - not girlfriend) "Mae mueng bpen sohpaynee nahn riplao?" I thought he was going to blow a gasket as all his mates started laughing hysterically at his having been one upped by a farang. I think I remember one asking him "jing mai?" To which he let off with a spray of expletives. My friends and I made our exit while he was occupied defending his now broken honor with his mates.

Another memory that always cracks me up is when a little girl about 10 and a little boy about 6 were having a fight on Koh Phi Phi in front of my dive shop. The girl was getting the best of boy and was teasing him mercilessly. At one point the boy kicked off his sandal and pointed to the sole of his foot and then the little girl's face. At this the little girl started screaming and picked up a stick and tried to hit the little boy. One of the shop owners grabbed her as she was within striking distance. All the other little kids were in fits of laughter at the older girl. Quite amusing scene.

Another dive instructor?

Get off the boat head up and first right is that your shop on the other side? :dunno:

Another dive instructor?

Was for about ten years.

Get off the boat head up and first right is that your shop on the other side?

I assume you are referring to Phi Phi. When I was there for 7 months in 94' - 95' my shop was off the boat, down the pier, turn right, around the corner, past the shops and restaurants, right side opposite two other dive shops. I have no idea what the Island looks like now. The developement seems to continue on and on without the slightest bit of planning.

Phuket was a much better place to live and work.

Archived