Buying DVDs if Pantip raided

daveh

There may be significant raids going on at Pantip and other places starting in May. I recommend anyone buying dvds to bring along a portable player to test them since more blanks may be showing up from vendors without a player to check them. Walmart has a small screen portable DVD player with battery pack available for $200 and Amazon.com seems to be getting some larger screen portable players with battery pack in the $200 range as well. The portable players are useful in hotel rooms and during the plane ride. Be advised that that these players are for U.S. so avoid buying the more expensive original region encoded disks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw them at mbk approx. for THB 8000 too. Btw, I bought some dvd on the street (sukh) and most of them were working fine. Had some with errors or not the hold movie accessable, but never found a blank one. Some vendors have dvd-players too.

I have only been to Panthip once, didn't shop that much. But I asked to test the DVD's first and was told a couple of the movies were no good. The others which I tested were fine.

I would never buy pirate DVD's without testing them first. I also thought most vendors have TV and DVD for testing purposes? I get most my stuff in VietNam, cheaper than Thailand (about USD 1.30) and good quality copies. Imported from China.

Cheers!

Peter, sure you didn't see a BenQ or one of the other "portables" that require plugging into wall socket? For those interested the BenQ player is shown on internet at mp3playerstore.com. These are not useful in my opinion as a battery pack for the 3 amps required @ 12volts would be heavy and not last long. None of these plug in portables have screens by the way. I don't know why the real portables with internal batteries and screens are so expensive in Thailand since the cheap ones are imported from Taiwan/China etc. Also I checked in Cambodia and they don't have anything good in hardware. I did however find a Sony small portable digital clock radio with am-fm,sw, model sw-33 (real one designed in Japan built in Malaysia), for $15, which I did not see available from Sukumvit street vendors.

Hi Check,

Thanks for info on Viet software. Where did you shop? Vietnam is a short hop from Cambodia.

Software also cheap in Philippines at Quiapo, Manila. About $1.50 per DVD.

To the other poster, SARS does not seem to be a problem in Vietnam. Also in Toronto, Canada, in spite of doomsday WHO Humpty Dumpties or whoever that sky falling in fairy tale character was.

I have bought XXX VCD's from Pantip on many occasions. Price is generally 6 for 500B. For each 6 I get, most times 1 or 2 will be damaged and play only partially. Are there better places to get these erotic videos? I stay in Pattaya many times. and I've bought from the street with similar mixed results. Any suggestions for Pattaya? Thanks in advance.

Redman

Archived