Buying DVDs if Pantip raided

daveh

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khun,

Glad you got the fairy tale character sorted out for me. Must give credit to the proper doomsayer!

I see that WHO has decided Vietnam SARs situation is under control now. Like there was a big problem before--duh.

redmessage,

I buy vcd's also. They are a good value for Karaoke and music videos as sound quality can be as good as most dvd's.

The vcd's seem to have more problems playing than dvd's. Sometimes you have to test a bunch before getting a good copy. Doesn't seem to be related to where you buy. I recommend testing them. Try to use a vendor with a player to test them or bring along a portable VCD player, which are cheap these days. You can get by listening to the audio portion for testing purposes.

In Pattaya you can get plenty vcd's along beach road at night. Also check Mike's Dept. store. Avoid walking on dark quiet sois at night, as I had trouble from robber types once who smacked me in the face from behind. They didn't get any money but I got a swollen face and cut lip for being stupid. The tourist police were not interested since no money was stolen!

I don't know, I think only time will tell. However former places are stated in today's news:

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=514&tt_news=307

5,000 discs seized on day one of Thailand's piracy war

Many sellers of fake goods stay closed

BANGKOK: A major government and private-sector crackdown on pirated products began yesterday with the seizure of more than 5,000 pirated CDs, VCDs and DVDs.

Led by Oratai Thanajaro, assistant secretary to Commerce Minister Adisai Bodharamik, six task forces of up to 100 members were dispatched at 11 am yesterday to 15 venues suspected of selling counterfeit goods.

Mrs Oratai's team visited four notorious areas _ Pantip Plaza, Mahboonkrong, Klong Thom and Ban Moh. The group found three outlets at Ban Moh selling pirated products.

However, only one shop attendant was arrested. Most other owners of shops selling fake goods, aware of the highly publicised starting date of the crackdown, apparently chose to stay closed. Generally, only shops selling legitimate products were open yesterday.

Many of the shops that normally are believed to sell pirated products, in venues including Fortune Plaza on Ratchadaphisek Road were closed. Those that were open were offering only legitimate goods.

``The police are inspecting. We have to cease selling pirated music CDs and movie DVDs for a while,'' said a male shop attendant at Fortune Plaza who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Mrs Oratai said the anti-piracy campaign, which was planned by the Commerce Ministry for three consecutive months, would put pressure on those who sold fake products and make it much tougher for them to do business.

She said inspections could be carried out at any hour, at the request of copyright owners, to make sure the piracy rate would be reduced.

Legitimate music and movie shops, she said, must hold three operating licences, with one from the Business Development Department, one from the copyright owners and one for movies from the police.

According to Yanyong Phuangrach, director-general of the Intellectual Property Department, stalls selling bogus CDs, VCDs and DVDs at Tawanna Plaza were also removed.

Deputy Commerce Minister Wattana Muangsook said the inspections would be carried out continuously throughout the three-month period by the ministry, with close co-operation and monitoring by a private working group representing copyright owners, CD factory owners and department store operators.

He said provincial police officers were also asked for co-operation, as sales of fake products were on the rise upcountry since the anti-piracy campaign had intensified in Bangkok.

``However, the vital part of the measure is to control CD, VCD and DVD factories and prevent them from being able to churn out new products to the market,'' said Mr Wattana.

In a related development, he said that US economic counsellors Joseph Yun and Win Dayton had informed him that Washington was prepared to review Thailand's ``watch list'' status as a country that was not enforcing copyright strictly enough.

However, he also quoted the officials as saying that the Thai government had not been fast enough in legislating the optical media sector.

Source: Bangkok Post

Archived