Leaving bags unlocked at airline check-in?

I got the stickey tape at BKK...the stuff sucks. I cannot get it off one of my duffle bags ::

When I got home, my bags had been opened and a notice was inside saying TSA had inspected them. I was quite surprised since I had a very short layover in Seattle before heading to the east coast. It appears to have been done professionally...nothing was out of place at all! ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khun_Kong--

Try some "WD-40" on the sticky.. It works well without degrading the integrity of the bag itself... Spray it onto a strong sponge or even some fine steel wool and srub.. comes off in short order.. wipe the area with warm water to get rid of the smell..

---UPSer

i am a new member here,and have enjoyed reading alot of the posts on the various forums. i havent made to many comments as of yet, only one post so far. to date i have only made one trip to thailand,but the first trip i made was totally enjoyable,. except for coming back home when i was stopped by customs about my bag. i went to thailand to get away from my job and the other stresses life can cause. i didnt expect that those irratations from which i was trying to get away from would hit full force in the face the moment i landed back home. i thoroughly enjoyed thailand on my maiden voyage there and cant wait to go back there again soon, in fact i am returning for a short trip later this month. what i am going to do to prevent customs from giving me the run around this time is to carry my bag on board the airplane both going and coming back. that way its with me the whole time, nobody will go through it other than myself. hopefully this will keep customs off my back. i took way to much stuff with me the first time that i didnt even need. plus the laundry service in country will be utilized to the fullest. i know that not everybody can live out of one carry-on but i am planning on giving it a try. :hubba:

Says onedrunkmonk:

in fact i am returning for a short trip later this month. what i am going to do to prevent customs from giving me the run around this time is to carry my bag on board the airplane both going and coming back. that way its with me the whole time, nobody will go through it other than myself. hopefully this will keep customs off my back. i took way to much stuff with me the first time that i didnt even need. plus the laundry service in country will be utilized to the fullest. i know that not everybody can live out of one carry-on but i am planning on giving it a try. :hubba:

Hmmmm...short trip...only a carry-on bag. Looks to me that you're in line for a strip search/body cavity exam on your next return :grinyes:

Says UPSer:

While I believe that 99%of all airline employees are honest people, I myself am a bit nervous about leaving luggage unlocked as pilferage is an issue at many us airports... Until some formalized process for better insuring against pilferage is put into place, I'd rather the TSA make the call to open your bag or not, **in your immediate presence**, before you walk away from the ticket counters.

--UPSer

Well, TSA screeners are not always in position to open your bags in your presence. In fact, millions have recently been budgeted to relocate the equipment from check-in areas into the bowels of the terminals where bags are routed. What I've taken to doing is this. Put a lock on my bags. If TSA needs to look inside, they will just have to cut the lock. Inside the bag I have placed a 9x12 manila envelope with the message: "Inside this envelope is another cheapo lock. Please place it on my bag when you are finished with your examination. Your cooperation is appreciated and thanks". You stand about a 15% chance of having your bag opened, so buying a few $2 locks should last a long time.

Says beerbloat:

Also, what do you think of these tiny padlocks--can you put those between the holes on the two zipper tabs and does that prevent theft and/or the planting of drugs in your bags? Anyone know?

Luggage locks are designed to keep honest folks out of your bags

Archived