Leaving bags unlocked at airline check-in?

What's the latest on this? Are you supposed to not lock your bags so they can go through your stuff looking for bombs? Also, what do you think of these tiny padlocks--can you put those between the holes on the two zipper tabs and does that prevent theft and/or the planting of drugs in your bags? How prevalent is the latter, by the way?

Anyone know?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the planting of drugs in your bags"

I was wondering about this too;

that little band bkk security puts around the bags would not prevent this:

sounds like some major problem waiting to happen.

i think it only applies for baggage checked in in the usa; i checked in twice during the last 2 weeks (one time domestic and one time on the flight to LOS) and both times i was asked whether bags are unlocked and both times i found after the flight a piece of paper inside, that my luggage has been opened and checked. i never experience that on flights within asia or to/from europe

Says torneyboy:

Says samak:

Says pasathai:

that little band bkk security puts around the bags would not prevent this

that's not done anymore for quite a while now

I havnt come accross this anywhere.

Is this new just bkk?
:dunno:

that has been done for years in bkk; suddenly stopped around 2 years ago

are you a thailand newbie?? :neener:

My info may be a little "stale"

it was apr 2002 last time It was done to my "to be checked" bag.

after xray, a band was placed ( by a machine for the most part) around the bag/

most times I only have a carry on bag, so i did not notice what was going on with checked bags.

it still cracks me up when at the ticket counter they ask if anyone has placed anything in my bag without my knowledge.

one time the ticket agent looked at my passport and back at me ( several times) and asked it was a recent pic. ( it was only 2 years old, but then agin, it was a long 2 weeks in LOs)

Says samak:

Says torneyboy:

Says samak:

Says pasathai:

that little band bkk security puts around the bags would not prevent this

that's not done anymore for quite a while now

I havnt come accross this anywhere.

Is this new just bkk?
:dunno:

that has been done for years in bkk; suddenly stopped around 2 years ago

are you a thailand newbie??
:neener:

This last trip was the first time my bags didn't get bands around them. They did in Dec. Now they put tape across the zipper that will show if it has been opened (supposedly). I always lock my bags from US, and never knowingly had them opened. Never asked either. But I am not a shady looking character! :neener:

samak--

It makes sense for the rule to be for USA origin bags only.. Since everyone MUST go thru US Customs/Immigration formalities at the FIRST port of entry in the US all the luggage will be reclaimed at that point. One Customs/Immigration is done you take your bag to a "reclaim" belt where TSA can do their thing, if they wish.. the TSA "rule" would then become valid and effective as your bag is now a "domestic" bag.. For those few passengers who come into the USA but are making an IMMEDIATE connection the luggage would remain in the "sterile" area, thus (in theory) making the TSA issue mute as YOU would not have an opportunity to place any prohibited items into your luggage as you have already been screened prior to boarding your overseas flight and have not been outside the "sterile" area of customs/immigration...

While I believe that 99%of all airline employees are honest people, I myself am a bit nervous about leaving luggage unlocked as pilferage is an issue at many us airports... Until some formalized process for better insuring against pilferage is put into place, I'd rather the TSA make the call to open your bag or not, **in your immediate presence**, before you walk away from the ticket counters.

--UPSer

Archived