Mission accomplished

jai-dee

I don't suppose my recent silence on this board has been widely noticed. I still log on nearly everyday (after all I have become addicted to it), but I have lost that urge to read every single post and to share my every experience in LOS with the rest of you. After less than 2 years my sanuking career in Thailand is effectively over. Last month I married my TGF and naturally my priorities have changed.

Although I have extensively travelled all over Thailand many years ago, I didn't discover the Thai phoo-ying until after my trip to Laos in 2000. I was amazed at how beautiful and approachable Lao women were.

A few months later, coinciding with the separation from my wife of 24 years (which was neither the cause nor the consequence of my exploits in South-East Asia) I travelled to Laos again. I wasn't exactly looking for sanuk, rather the idea of replacing my ex-wife with a younger model firmly embedded itself in my mind. At first I was making quite some progress - mothers were bending over backwards to offer their daughters, some as young as 17, when I spread the word I was looking for a woman to marry. But I quickly gave up my search due to the lack of communication infrastructure and non-existence of English skills among the targets of my interest.

So I figured, Thai women can't be that much different, why not try my luck in Thailand. And I did have more luck in Thailand.

In the short time of 2 years I went through 4 phases: bargirls, internet contacts, personal introductions through thai friends, and finally monogamous relationship, which culminated in my recent marriage.

Prior to my first trip to LOS I rummaged the entire internet for information. When I arrived in Bangkok I thought I knew everything, I was going to skip the newbie phase. 5555! Yes I knew how to get to Sukhumvit without being ripped off, how much ST/LT/BF costs, which hotels were guest friendly. But I still ended barfining the first bargirl I met in the first bar I entered. Later I was so overwhelmed by the experience that I felt compelled to write one of the longest posts ever published on this board.

Even though I met some really nice BGs and enjoyed being with them, it became obvious pretty quickly that they were not the right material for a serious relationship. Internet contacts were more promising. But ultimately nothing much developed out of those, except for some rather incredible adventures.

Personal introductions were probably the best method but required my lengthy presence in Thailand which was out of my reach. Ultimately I found my girl all by myself. She has made me very happy. It was interesting to observe her quick progress from a shy girl with no experience with farang (and indeed with men in general). Like she seriously expected I would buy her a on the first date. She received one 2 months later for Valentine's Day. She promptly gave it to her mother, and sold it shortly thereafter to buy a motorcycle for her father. These days she doesn't even ask for gold anymore, indeed she frowns whenever I spend money on modest luxuries. She much prefers me to save the money for more important things, like a new house for her parents.

Another interesting change is in regard to sinsot. When we first started discussing marriage, she came up with with the amount in the order of one million baht. Having done my research I was able to sincerely laugh at that. Over the time her expectations kept dropping. By the time we got married she completely forgot about it and no sinsot was paid at all.

Now, do I have any regrets? Not as far as my girl is concerned. But a few others yes: that I didn't discover LOS 10 or 20 years earlier; that I never made it to Eden Club; that I didn't meet more than about 10 fellow board members; and most of all that I still can't call my mother-in-law nawng even though she is 6 years younger than me.

I'm happy to read an entertaining post like yours here. ;)

Good for you that you found a lovely girl here in LOS to spend your time with. I hope your marriage will be a long and happy one. :)

Thinking about kids yet? :D

Congrats, jai-dee.

Great stuff even I haven't read thru all your linked reports yet :o:applause::)

Like you Laos have a special place in my heart, but I did discover sanuk in bkk before travelling thru Lao on severel occasions around '2000. Truely a wonder & I'm sure it'll stay that way for ages...

Lastly congrat on your wife & all the best.

Don't leave us all just yet! :dunno:

Hi jai-dee,

We met once at Woodstock. It's too bad I didn't know you were looking for a wife otherwise I would offer myself to you. Just joking. :: :) ::

Congratulations. Hope you can 'tame' the new housewife of yours to not asking for money from you for the rest of your life unless you give her the money that she deserves yourself.

Archived