Question about Thai Buddhism

Hi,

Being scientific all my life, I have always questioned things, especially Bhuddism. Glad to say that Lord Buddha's teaching that I have discoverred are quite scientific. :D

When I retire, I may go back to study Sanskrit again so I can read the scriptures myself. Do you know that Lord Bhudda talked about the Solar System? :hubba:

Cheers! ::

>>>Glad to say that Lord Buddha's teaching that I have discoverred are quite scientific.<<<

that is what i like with all hinduistic based philosophies, they put more importance on trial and error than on blind faith, but if you want, you can practise on faith as well. up to you.

>>>When I retire, I may go back to study Sanskrit again so I can read the scriptures myself. Do you know that Lord Bhudda talked about the Solar System?<<<

what do you think about the vedas? as far as i know the buddha did reject them in the end, but some of the stuff there is astonishing. i met once on the banks in varanassi a vedic student who held a masters in astrophisics who said that most of what he learned in his studies there he found in the vedas as well.

Hi,

[color:"red"]what do you think about the vedas? as far as i know the buddha did reject them in the end, but some of the stuff there is astonishing. i [/color]

I have read some in Thai and know that are 4 parts of the Vedas. They are divided into 4 parts to suite 4 stages of a person's life. What I have read mostly involved the Hindus gods and some teachings. It seems to state that life (name and forms) is illusion (maya). Serve Self by sharing what you have.

I am not sure about that Lord Buddha rejected them at the end. Are you talking about when he tried to get enlighted by starving himself and gave up on that path (yogi)? What he rejected was the extream actions (in this case, starving), he found the "middle way".

I have been lucky that my father encoraged me since I was little to study other religions and whenever I can I try reading. For the past 20 years, there are many good books written by Thai monks available and some books make me glad that I can read Thai, however, some writings, it takes repeated readings before they sink in. It could be that I am just a lotus at the brim of water, not exactly above the water yet. ;)

Jasmine :)

>>>, it takes repeated readings before they sink in. <<<

that's my problem with most purely philosophical and religious works - they bore me to death. i just don't have the patience to go through all that. especially, as every single monk has told me, real understanding only comes via meditation - and proper meditation is not for me. ;)

>>>Are you talking about when he tried to get enlighted by starving himself and gave up on that path (yogi)? What he rejected was the extream actions (in this case, starving), he found the "middle way".<<<

that, the gods (or aspects of the one god), and the cast system.

>>>It could be that I am just a lotus at the brim of water, not exactly above the water yet. <<<

my problem - i do enjoy the water. ;)

Heaven and Hell are the places where the souls are believed to go after each death (remember of reincarnation). Not all souls find way they are supposed to go, that is why it is believed of ?ghosts?. Most souls go directly to Hell (many levels of Hell, some levels are not that far from Earth) and being punished for the sins, for the sins are NOT forgiven. After the souls are finished with their penalty, some are to be born again to be animals or human or some goes to Heaven. The Heaven (again many levels of Heaven) is the place where souls with merits go, however, the time is also limited and these souls can be born again for they do still have ?Karma?.

-------------------------------------

Jasmine, is it fair to argue that Buddhism, unlike Hinduism, does not recognize that there is such things as souls, instead every thing, matter and non-matter is not one, but composite, constantly changing, and as often read, inter-dependant, etc...?

I think the Buddha and disciples understood that to climb a steep mountain, one need clips and hooks, and allowed stuff like hell and heaven to creep in scriptures, and map a moral road for folks to follow on the long road to salvation. Actually, and I may need to refresh my memories maybe but, the Buddha said "whatever helps you on the way to salvation", but had nothing to say on such matters as Heaven and Hell, or even re-incarnation. Whatever distracts you from the goal has to be discarded eventually, as it is of an illusory matter, or clutters the mind.

Heaven and Hell, powerful myths, are used for edification in every religion, therefore find their place in Buddhist lore, but they truly do not constitute (or have a place in) the core of Buddhist teachings.

Archived