Kreng Jai, an explanation .........?

limbo

Hi guys,

was PM'ing with another boardmember and we talked about Kreng Jai.

Now the other person didn't know what it meant and I'm not sure if I know actually what it means.

Can you guys help out and possibly give some examples.

Is Kreng Jai restricted to work situations or does it involve every day live?

it's one of the central concept in thai culture and society. it's not at all restricted to work situations; it's a matter of every day life and there are uncountable examples.

example for you Limbo:

if you tell one of your thai staff in your diving school to fill all the bottles with oxygen until tomorrow morning, he will answer: "sure sir!", despite he knows exactly that the machine is broken. he will not tell you: "but, sir, the machine is broken and we are not sure, whether we can fix it tonight" because he does not want to krengjai you. he does not want to bother you with his problems or start an argument or a conversation, that could affect the harmony in the relationship between you and him. he rather thinks, no need to tell him, we will fix it, well it's difficult, the machine is old and no spare parts available within short time, but maybe somebody will help me or a miracle will happen or the dive shop will burn down or samui island will go under...anyway, why should i care now, tomorrow is another day!

Says samak:

it's one of the central concept in thai culture and society. it's not at all restricted to work situations; it's a matter of every day life and there are uncountable examples.

example for you Limbo:

if you tell one of your thai staff in your diving school to fill all the bottles with oxygen until tomorrow morning, he will answer: "sure sir!", despite he knows exactly that the machine is broken. he will not tell you: "but, sir, the machine is broken and we are not sure, whether we can fix it tonight" because he does not want to krengjai you. he does not want to bother you with his problems or start an argument or a conversation, that could affect the harmony in the relationship between you and him. he rather thinks, no need to tell him, we will fix it, well it's difficult, the machine is old and no spare parts available within short time, but maybe somebody will help me or a miracle will happen or the dive shop will burn down or samui island will go under...anyway, why should i care now, tomorrow is another day!

So than what happens to the boss when he comes in the next day expecting to find all the bottles filled? Does the boss not feel let down at the very least, and downright angry knowing that the staff knew the machinery was broken and not likely to be fixed by the next day? Let take this example one step further and say that the boss needs these bottles filled so he can fulfill an agreement with a tour company; had he known that the machine is broken and may not be fixed he could go on too plan "B", etc, etc.::

Shit

had he known that the machine is broken and may not be fixed he could go on too plan "B", etc, etc

---------------------------------

again, that's imposing a western concept of trying to think ahead for efficiency and getting things done. There are no plan Bs in Thailand (gross generalization, but not inaccurate). Unless it's beating plan A on the head until it works or waiting.....

Says samak:

example for you Limbo:

Thanks for explaining Samak.

You're not working in the same dive shop tho, are you? ::

Says samak:

example for you Limbo:

Thanks for explaining Samak.

You're not working in the same dive shop as me tho, are you? ::

Archived