Hard disks

Coss

Says think_too_mut:

>A friend has had 8 Maxtors fail on him this year.

Seagate and IBM lead in quality in HDD market.

I had one Maxtor that died.

I have always been partial to IBM because they are solid as a rock but they sold the business or manufacturing to Hitachi from what I understand and the HDD are marketed as IBM/Hitachi now

True. IBM and Hitachi merged their HDD businesses to form Hitachi Global Storage Technologies head quartered in California. Hopefully they kept IBM's R&D team as they have been at the forefront of new HDD technology for the past four or five years.

Coincidentally Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has a plant in Prachinburi.

I do some consulting for a guy who retired as an IBM V.P. four years ago to form a new company (not high tech). He was telling me a little about IBM's research into organic storage that will eventually (as in maybe by 2010) allow TB sized drives in PCs or 100+ GB cards for cameras etc.

Seagate still is seen as a high-end workstation component manufacturer. Their IDE stuff is certainly good but not very competitive with Maxtor and WD blowing away their sales. Their SCSI stuff still blows away most of the competition though.

<I have always been partial to IBM because they are solid as a rock >

Can't say its been my experience. The company I work for has IBM kit on clients' sites and IBM SCSIs are failing all the time also clustering on IBM kit is a real PITA but I guess thats another story

• 2 weeks later...

More hear say about Maxtor. I have been training this week with a fellow who sets up test systems for HD manufactures in Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. I asked him what the best IDE drives were in his opinion. not maxtor-lah. You know not very good-aah He said probably the Seagate Baraccuda, but cautioned that Seagate in APAC was trying real hard to rebuild some market share and that many manufactures would be willing to sacrifice reliability to do so.

>He said probably the Seagate Baraccuda,

Seagate "Cudda" is probably the best HDD can get.

50% or more of world's information live on them - all big banks, airlines, manufacturers, mobile network providers use them.

For example, NTT DoCoMo has 500 fridge size data storrage arrays full of cuddas.

Archived