Sukhumvit Deep Klong Anglers Club Inaugural Trip

Coss

Contrary to expectations there are fish in them there Klongs.

My associate and I spent two hours in a longtail, fishing the Chao Phraya and Klongs. We got six fish, 3 cat fish, 2 larger mullet looking things, and a smaller bream type of fish. All good fun. Boat was had at the Shangrila, 400 baht/hour. Fish rising all over the place.

Gave the fish to a needy looking bunch of girls on the river side on the way back to the jetty.

As an initial trip we were satisfied, though we might research the tackle side a little more next time to find out what the larger mystis style catfish that were rising all over the place might take.

See photos at.... ::

Coss,

It looks like an excellent outing. I'm sorry I couldn't have been there but I'll have to try for the next event.

Did the fish look healthy? We always guessed the fish in the klongs especially would have tumors or just look unwell. From your pictures they look as though they came from pure mountain lakes. Might have a wee bit of mercury though. In any event the goal was to catch, not eat, some fish.

Fish looked healthy, the Klongs being connected to the river share the same water but were slower moving. We caught 4 of the 6 at the mouths of the Klongs and 2 actually in the Klong.

What is interesting is the amount of locals fishing, plenty of chaps taking the opportunity to skive off and have a fish.

When we were taking some photos, some chaps on the bank and several 'tourist' boat loads were giving us thumbs up and generally laughing at the crazy white boys fishing expedition.

Will definitely be doing this again.

Guest lazyphil

At a small temple at pakkret I go too from time to time I buy a 20b bucket of dried bread slices and feed to the fish, I've never seen anything quite like it anywhere...literally thousands of fish jostling for bread crumbs. I expressed interest for fishing for them with me mrs who suggested if I did at this temple location I'd proberbly get thrown in with them ::

There were also a lot of fish in front of the Shangrila but we were not allowed to fish for them, the boat captain lady also said that there were plenty of fish in front of the temples, but no fishing allowed.

Would have caught some very big fish if we had though...

We used cheap and nasty telescopic rods with $5 reels, 5Kg line, toby lures. They did the job because they fit in the suitcase. I did see a fishing shop just up the road from Shangrila, so I'm gonna buy one there next time rather than bring one with me.

Archived