i love these comments-August 2002

sayjann

this is the start of my threads on this seasons football.

majority will be Steves thoughts,but will include others.

will select comments month by month.

posted by me on 13/08/02

and the premiership is only 'on loan' to you for a season.

posted by Steve on 20/08/02

The one person I fear is Diouf (spelling) the Senegalese striker for Liverpool. He's already making an impact and will only get better. Is there a 'rookie of the year' award in the Premiership? If so, he may be in contention when all said and done.

(WHO,what happened to him?).

posted by Steve on 25/08/02

Diouf looks good for Liverpool. I had said before that I think he'd make an immediate impact and I saw the opening 20 minutes of the Liverpool v. Southhampton match and he scored early off Heskey's cross. I chose him for my fantasy team as I think he'll be very good and get better once he gets acclimated to English style football.

(again i say WHO?)

posted bt Phiket Pete 26/08/02

Don't rule out Leeds. They have looked impressive admitedly against two of the promoted clubs.

New coach, no real injuries, no outside turmoil.

On the bench yesterday they had 4 World cup players.

(555555555555)

Man U's defence still looks mediocre.

My money is still on Arsenal but it isn't a certainty.

(5555555555555)

posted by Steve 26/08/02

What happens if Man Utd has another disappointing season (3rd or lower finish)? The coffers may get a little thin, and they may have to unload some of their more expensive but unproductive players (can someone say Veron?). Something tells me they'll fall off again this year, possibly 4th. Leeds or Newcastle will pick them off late next year toward the end of the season.

(leeds?)

Tee hee :grinyes:

"I chose him for my fantasy team.."

And guess who's bottom of the league.. ::

Some good 'uns in there though, as a Liverpool fan, I think Diouf'll come good next season. He's got skill, he's eager, he's still young and adapting to the Premiership.

My own Steve moment came just a few weeks ago when I called Scholes "abysmal" just before he scored a hat-trick against Newcastle and went on to score about 6 in three games to help Man U to the title. :doah:

Didn't someone else call O'Shea "shite"?

I'll be making predictions again every year. I think he turned out well for Liverpool, it takes a year to get adjusted to the PL for foreigners.

I'm not the only one who though Arsenal and Liverpool would battle for the title, most pundits as well and for the first half of the season it was right. Predictions rarely come true, but I'll take the 'piss' as you all say...i love that term. lol.

Since we're playing this who said what game, I'll conjure up this one from last year's title run:

oh dear oh dear oh dear what happened to the mighty arsenal last night?. but i hope they stay in europe,i really want them to experience a BIG fixture congestion and not being able to cope with it. i see they are desparate to play west ham in the final week of the season,admitting not wanting to play the mighty utd. not scared of facing utd in a title decider are they?.

But us Gooners do have a heart and not take a 'piss' when other supporters are experiencing bad results. This one from Long Gun last season:

Thanks Steve, Froggy et al for not taking the piss about our miserable performance on Saturday!

This year if we lose at Sunderland I'm hoping Long Gun remembers our kindness :(

it's interesting reading all the old posts.

i'm just doing this for a bit of fum,a piss take as Steve says,hope no-one talks it too serious.

now for September's gems.

posted by Steve 01/09/02

I honestly thing Man Utd's run will be over this year and they'll move progressively down the table to being 3rd -5th over the next couple years. I thought Leeds, Newcastle or Chelsea may be the team to get to one of the big 3 this yaer

posted by PhiketPete 01/09/02

Fergie said yesterday that Man U form was terrific. Heck if they continue to play like they are now in europe they will not get out of the first group phase. Yes they have injuries. Now Keane seems intent on an early end to his career. I forsee a bad year for them.

posted by Steve 03/09/02

Bring on the Spaniards after we get out group A!!! Although with Ronoldo, Real is looking invincible. Perhaps they'll have a problem trying to mesh as a team. Zindane, Figo, Ronaldo...on and on and on...

posted by Frogpatrol 04/09/02

Remember, until the end of this campaign, every single time you watch the Gunners on television, you will hear the commentators refer to them as "the Champions." And rightfully so. Now put that in your pipe....

(look forward to hearing that next season)

Big clubs? Man U is big in their coffers (and egos), Arsenal is big on points. Okay - I couldn't resist.

(not this year he he )

posted by Frogpatrol 15/09/02

On another note, my sense is that the Gunners are going to throw all their resources into the Champion's League, which makes me think the Premiership may well go down to the final 2-3 matches.

(spot on my friend)

posted by Steve 17/09/02

I still think Man Utd has seen its best days. The aura they once have is slowly diminishing and a lot of clubs are more confident against them now. The air of invincibility is seeping. Liverpool is the team I fear this year. Leeds? Well, I think they will end up 3rd. They have been tested early and have shown their mettle.

posted by Steve 22/09/02

I will continue to say that I think Man Utd will end up 4th in the league this year.

posted by Steve 23/09/02

My (revised) prediction:

Arsenal (who else?! : ) difficult after Christmas, will have a lot of draws at tough away pitches and a few surprise losses but will pull through.

Leeds (tough at home, Sunderland notwithstanding, great defense, capable forwards, challenge Arsenal till last month)

Liverpool (I think the fight for 2nd will come down to the final game, challege Arsenal till last month)

Man Utd (the dynasty is over, the king is dead, God save Arsenal, Europe will tire them out also)

Tottenham (I hate to even think it but I think they will give Man Utd a good run for 4th and lose it in the last month)

posted by me 23/09/02

spurs will fall away,not even a top 6 finish.

keep writing utd off boys,makes me chuckle.

i hope europe does tire utd out,means we've gone further then the arse[again].

utd have a crap record against the top teams,this happens every season.

but they normally pick up the points against the lesser teams.

every year we will lose a couple against teams like bolton,southampton etc.

posted by Frogpatrol 29/09/02

Cygan stepping into the Premiership and looking cool and composed.

(he he)

bibblies.

'My own Steve moment came just a few weeks ago when I called Scholes "abysmal" just before he scored a hat-trick against Newcastle and went on to score about 6 in three games to help Man U to the title.'

we have all said things which come back to haunt us and that is why i am posting some things i like.

i have said some silly things and will include them,i promise.

"we have all said things which come back to haunt us and that is why i am posting some things i like.

i have said some silly things and will include them,i promise."

I had no faith in Anelka and put him down as not being a consistent goal scorer. I also had a "Venables will sort things out, its early days" comment which was a stinker. ::

Cheers!

If there was ever a reason to NOT scale down, or start a new, Gooner Corner thread, this thread is it. I am now convinced that it should stand as is.

Well done, sayjaan, and congrats once again.

I will be posting a "where did it all go wrong" (or right, for you) thread soon on the Corner. Be curious to hear your thoughts.

Cygan - yes, he did look cool as can be for about three matches. Then, clubs realized he was neither strong nor a player with pace. Ugh.

froggo

Octobers gems.

as i say a bit of fun.

posted by me 01/10/02

the season is early and many things will happen between now and May.

i got 12/1 for utd winning the league today,i took it.

when you think they were 1/2 before the season took off.

might pay for my next trip to LOS.

posted by Check_Bin_Krap 01/10/02

Its going to be between Arsenal, L'pool and Man.U. for sure. With Arsenal well in front and favourites as things stand.

Cheers!

Added on second thought: Actually Man.U. didn't even get second...

(you were right,we did'nt ge 2nd place....lol)

posted by me 02/10/02

just keep writing utd off,PLEASE.

nothing is won by october 1st.

but having just back from a rather nice lunchtime session,i may be wrong.

got shit from a newcastle fan[pplleeaasee] and going on about how utd have lost it all this season and arsenal and the pool have it all sewn up.

could'nt get a word in edgeways,not that i really wanted too,he was so blinkered.

he even said arsenal were too good for anyone and would win both the champions league and the uefa cup this season!!!!!!.

now i think you know why i disregarded him.

i still remember the season when we were 12 points behind the toon army and still won the league.

as i say,nothing is won in the first 2 months.

the race starts after christmas.

posted by Steve 03/10/02

but as Sayjann said, a win is a win.

(in later posts he said Utd were lucky to scrape through against teams like Chelsea,Leeds and So'ton)

posted by Steve 08/10/02

I've been doing a bit of research. Arsenal lost 3 times last year, 8 draws. Man Utd's treble year was 3 losses (one to Arsenal and 11 draws, I'm sure they had better seasons.

(but we won the treble.....5555555555

posted by Steve 08/10/02

This year I think Arsenal can go the season with 2 losses and keep the draws to 5 or less. We have 2 draws already but one must assume that Liverpool, Man Utd, and possibly Newcastle or Tottenham away can will draw. Even Leeds at home.

(2 losses at home?,Leeds at home,i love it.)

posted by me 08/10/02

like i say,keep writing us off.

but remember i've never said we are going to win the PL.

i'll leave that to you guys[and winger] saying the arse have it sewn up already.

Posted by Robbie9god 09/10/02

We are still only in "silly season" and only after xmas will we see a more accurate picture of how the season might pan out.

posted by me 10/10/02

sooner or later,arsenal will have their bad patch[i hope].

posted by me 10/10/02

if a stranger from another planet came and read the reviews he/she would think the arse had already won the PL/FA CUP/CHAMPIONS LEAGUE/LEAGUE CUP/NATIONWIDE DIVISIONS 1,2 AND 3/CONFERENCE/SPL/LOW and not forgetting the WORLD CUP.

posted by Robbie9god 10/10/02

I'll wait to see if Robbie returns after Houllier gets the sack for winning bugger all.

(is he on the way out?would Liverpool dare to sack him?)

and Anelka rubbed had a bit of fun against them.

posted by Robbie9god 11/10/02

Got my hopes up all week for that f**king plank McCarthy to piss off to sunderland and do us all a big favour.

(your wish has come true)

posted by Robbie9god 11/10/02

Ah well!Just got to wait for Glen Roeder to the sack I guess!

(of course none of knew what would happen to him a few months later).

i wish him a speedy recovery and hope all the other members do as well

posted by LG 12/1/'02

I seem to be one of the few who was quite pleased with our new management team. Most people round here seem to have taken it as a personal insult. Wilkinson is a boring bastard and hasn't managed a proper club for years but he is a coach which is something we have been sadly lacking.

(what are your thoughts now?)

posted by me 17/10/02

get rid of the arsenal wanker

(probably after an England game)

posted by JCk 17/10/02

Actually I agree 100% and I think arse deserve to have such a useless has-been.

posted by Steve 21/10/02

Man Utd will be playing for 3rd or 4th.

(i love you my friend)

posted by Steve 24/10/02

Sayjann, I know you are enjoying this. haha. Well, my friend, enjoy it now, we'll be singing 'we're top of the league' by seasons end and you can take your Arsenal shirt out of the closet and wear it proudly once more.

(i'm still waiting to hear the song you ave mentoned and i still do not have the shirt).....LOL

posted by me 25/10/02

you keep saying no-one can win the title except Arsenal,dangerous words my friend.

i really hope they come back to haunt you.

posted by me 27/10/02

arsenal have been gettting all the plaudits for their performances this season so far.

the media comparing them with the greastest team i have ever seen(the brazilian world cup winning team of 1970),what a load of crap that is.

posted by me 27/10/02

i am more concerned about being 8 points behind liverpool.

(did i need to worry?)

posted by Robbie9 god 27/10/02

It is most definetly a 3 horse race for the title this year but the only prediction I'm going to make is Arsenal WON'T win it.

You have to remember that while Arsenal were winning the league last season both Liverpool and Man U were still playing in the CL.That was an extra 6 games for the Pool and 8 for Man U plus all the extra travel and time away from home.

Only 11 games into the season and poor old Henry is tired.Arsenal in crisis and Viera suspended for the next 2 games.And still a long way to go in Europe.

Sorry guys but the titles going north this year!!

(your prediction of going North was spot on)

"posted by Check_Bin_Krap 01/10/02

Its going to be between Arsenal, L'pool and Man.U. for sure. With Arsenal well in front and favourites as things stand.

Cheers!

Added on second thought: Actually Man.U. didn't even get second...

(you were right,we did'nt ge 2nd place....lol)"

Sayjann, that "not even second" referred to the previous season.

Actually, if you look at my posts I never wrote off Man.U. unlike others, although I held Arsenal as favourites.

Cheers!

Archived