20 Kg air baggage weight limit strictly enforced?

Most airlines seem to limit your checked baggage to 20 kg and your carry-on bags to 7 kg total. I have more stuff than that, and wonder if anyone knows whether these limits are strictly enforced or not. Thanks.

Short answer, no. Though of course , there are many variables. Your attitude, their attitude, the airline...

I've taken 30 kg with a 20kg allowance.

Who knows?

>Most airlines seem to limit your checked baggage to 20 kg and your carry-on bags to 7 kg total. I have more stuff than that, and wonder if anyone knows whether these limits are strictly enforced or not.

On full planes, I saw BA and SQ being strict. Recently, empty plane, 36kg on 20kg allowance, no problem.

I usually fly Qantas and often exceed the limit by about 5 kilos on the check in luggage and an extra 5 or so kilos on the carry on. I have never been asked to pay extra but I have witnessed Qantas staff bailing up customers in the departure areas and randomly weighing carry on bags.

Go for an extra 5 kilos on each bag. Doubt you will have much trouble.

depends on the airline. TG for example is usually very generous. it can also depend on the staff at the check in; some overlook, other don't.

it also depends on the status you have at the airline (mileage). frequent flyer status allows you 10kg more anyway, but i had on several occasions around 60kg bags checked in (instead of the allowed 30kg), but was never charged

Hi!

That is my experience too. However it could change very quickly. About 10 years ago Thai inter made an unsuccessful attempt to move a mountain in the Himalayas by flying into it head on. Just after that a friend of mine was returning from BKK with about 10 kilos overwheight. They wouldn't even let him pay for the overwheight. He had to get rid of it.

regards

ALHOLK

As with just about everything, it all depends on that agent with that airline on that particular day. With airlines losing millions and millions, I would have to tell you that you had better expect to start paying for the overweight, oversize and extra pieces you are checking now. Probably alot less waiving of change fees and those sorts that make the airlines less money. You can bet as an airline employee when I take my paycut, the customer will be paying for it.

Troy :onfire:

Troy--

You bet! My good friend who works UA ramp at NRT told me that most us stations have been told to be more alert to obvious oversize/overweight/overlimit baggage issues.. Of course this is a revenue driven issue, but in defense of the airlines, they are doing nothing more than enforcing an "age old" rule that for a long time has been ignored...

Also, weight and balance plays into this as well.. If your plane is already heavy with cargo and is projected to be a full capacity flight, they will watch the weight/piece limit more carefully than they would otherwise on an "empty" flight..

--UPSer

PS: I'm allowed only 10kgs of "personals" on domestic flights and 25kgs on int'l flights, and I've got to lug it all myself (into and out of the aft hold)..

Says walletss:

I usually fly Qantas

Hi walletss,

I will never fly Qantas again because of their appalling attitude over baggage. One time at LHR I had to repack bags in front of the check in desk to redistribute the weight. There were three of us and in total we were nowhere near the (business class) limit, but they refused to accept any bag weighing more than 35 kg. Something to do with union agreements. They didn't explain why they had made an agreement with the union that would inconvenience the people who paid union members their wages.

The other airline I would never fly with again is United because of their intrusive questioning one time - explained as "security" when I started to show a small amount of irritation. This has probably got worse since 9/11 - although a recent trip to the US on American produced no questioning at all.

All in all, I find flying an increasingly unpleasant experience - better to stay in BK. :onfire:

Khwai

I have seen that restriction on Qantas - they also play a really big thing about you declaring which bags are more than 25KG in weight in order to put a 'heavy' sticker on it. Must be something to do with unions/labour laws in Australia related to potential accidents at workplace.

Also have overheard on a flight with QF in business class between Singapore and Hong Kong passenger complaining about the lack of service onboard and the stewardess told him that they are not there to provide service but to ensure his safety !!!!

My preference is to not fly Qantas wherever possible..

Cheers

Archived