ADSL - Just do it!!

bangkokbutcher

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says samak:

ADSL in thailand is not only expensive, it is also slow due to the lousy backbone in thailand.

given the fact that in japan and korea VDSL (even faster than ADSL) is now at very low cost available and 30% up of private housholds have it or are going to install it this year, we are leaving in thailand in the internet stone age

Japan and Korea are "first world" countries(I know the term isn't very realistic but it's the best description I can think of an "in between" emerging country). Anyways, reliable DSL in thailand isn't a possibility in the near future, if ever. The ground telecomm. infrastructure in LOS is pure shit. Even the power isn't even conditioned. Cable is also not that great but the best alternative presently available for broadband. Due to the bottleneck of cable subscribers into one pipeline, it may be hard to justify the high cost for frustrating "broadband lol". The best future broadband option is sadly, wireless ie. sattelite and the likes. That's gonna be a doozy with the tropical weather patterns though...

Let's just say this... Thailand will have decent broadband once they completely fix their infrastructure.

Was out early this evening and it was raining a bit hard. Whoops, them pesky sewage lines overflowed or bursted once again. Nothing like the smell of human feces to appreciate the smells of sukumvit.

note: try taking a whiff of Majestic Suites Lobby tonight. LOL!

ADSL in BKK is a hit or miss affair. From getting it, paying for it, and getting decent upload / download speeds. I have had two different ISP / DSL providers here in BKK in the last three years. Here in BKK you have to have both. A tech company that provides the ADSL to the phone company and a regular ISP who provides access to the lousy internet backbone referenced in an earlier post.

My first ADSL connection was OK but once the promotion had run out (18 month contract for "tech" transfer and 180 hours of ISP for around 10,000 BHT including PCI ADSL modem) you were then forced to buy hours from the ISP and hours from the Tech company. This pushed the hourly cost up to over 80 THB per hour.

Currently I have the Telecom Asias' ADSL plan which is a combined ISP and Telco for 1,710 THB per month for 25 hours and an additional charge of 30 THB per hour over 25. Cost 6,000 THB for the USB modem and if you get them on a promotion installation can be free. The only caveat is that you must be a Telecom Asia phone subscriber (your phone number starts with a 6) If you are a CAT subscriber (your phone number starts with a 2) you are stuck with the two tiered pricing plan.

Speeds are no where near the advertised 128 / 256 and as already discussed you still face the bottle neck of getting to the real information highway. It is sort of like getting to Pattaya on a motorcycle; getting down Sukhumvit to 154 B for the highway is the problem.

Don't have a clue as to the cost of cable modem broadband here in BKK but it is available and I don't think you would have the drain factor mentioned by an earlier poster, since not many people would be able to afford it and cable TV. Most Thais in the need high speed will go to a web cafe, or have one at work.

So I agree with the originator of this thread I just don't know if it is worth it to "Just do it!!" in LOS.

Been waiting 4+ years now for an affordable, unlimited broadband solution in BKK, and still waiting ... Don't know if the latest offer from Inet Thailand (Inet-CableModem) is unlimited or not. Anyone know for sure? If so, then it might be the first time I'm seriously tempted, but still 128K/1024K would be a cool 15,836 Baht/month! Or 128/512 for 8,988 Baht/month, translating to 12.48 Baht/hour (one month = 720 hours), or roughly what the more expensive dialup packages cost here.

Inet Cablemodem

Cheers,

>>>Perhaps a name change to 'LondonButcher' is in order, BB ?<<<

Yeah I know, but then that would just remind me of where I am - the main reason I chose this name was to remind me of where I want to be ::

I just hoped that my location box would be helpful with this one (18 miles n/w of central london)

Sorry for the confusion guys :bow:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived