ADSL - Just do it!!

bangkokbutcher

Nothing much to shout about, but my new broadband modem arrived today. Got it all hooked up and ready to go and BAM, what a damned difference.

Anyone considering upgrading to broadband, just do it, coz you just don't know what your missing!!

You will not regret it.

And no, I aint trying to punt anything on anyone, all comments are just based on my own satisfaction... :o

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Butch,

I had cable (proper cable, not that ADSL stuff) prior to my recent relocation, and saying goodbye to it was damned tough. I have decided to postpone any kind of internet hookup at home for as long as possible : ADSL is the best available in this area, and its AUD80 per month !

Is Bangkok's power and telecommunications grid very reliable ? I know that many of the big multinationals have their own systems in place in developing economies such as Asia, India and California :)

I've had DSL and currently have Cable.

I agree broadband is the only way to go.

DSL is great as you are generally guaranteed a specific bandwidth, 300+kbps, 400+kbps, etc. DSL has one disadvantage in that you have to be within a certain distance of an RSU (remote service unit or telephone switch). If you are beyond the distance limit you're out of luck.

Cable has the advantage of extremely high bandwidth, usually in excess of 1mbps peak, but has the drawback that it is not guaranteed. This is a result of cable line sharing meaning you are sharing bandwidth with every other subscriber in your zone. If many people connect at the same time your speed might drop to only 100+kbps. The other obvious advantage is that it is typically available anywhere where upgraded, i.e. fiber optic, cable lines are available.

Either way hell for me is a world with only dial-up.

ADSL in thailand is not only expensive, it is also slow due to the lousy backbone in thailand.

given the fact that in japan and korea VDSL (even faster than ADSL) is now at very low cost available and 30% up of private housholds have it or are going to install it this year, we are leaving in thailand in the internet stone age

Says samak:

ADSL in thailand is not only expensive, it is also slow due to the lousy backbone in thailand.

given the fact that in japan and korea VDSL (even faster than ADSL) is now at very low cost available and 30% up of private housholds have it or are going to install it this year, we are leaving in thailand in the internet stone age

Here in Tokyo (provider: Yahoo-Japan) unlimited access for JPY 3.400 i.e. USD 30.- per month.

Archived