ADSL - Just do it!!

bangkokbutcher

Say I just rang up Telecom Asia today.

From what I could gather, the service was available for me on Suk soi 16. But I needed to change my phone number, wasn't given another option. Number change was aprx 4,000 B. Then I would need to buy a modem for another B3,000 and some type of conection fee ??? another 3,000 B or possibly thats the first month's payment. Then after 30 hours I would be paying 30B per hour, except that right now they have a promotion on that would allow me additional hours at 15B per hour.

How do you feel about your conection presently?

And can you tell Is it possible to at the right times of day ( night or morning I dont care) is it possible to conect to the internet at trully fast speeds?

Fast enough for me is slightly better thatn 57Kb, but just a bit, but I need it to not fluctuate too greatly below that level.

Any thoughts before I comit in the next day or two ?

Says LangsuanMan:

ADSL in BKK is a hit or miss affair. From getting it, paying for it, and getting decent upload / download speeds. I have had two different ISP / DSL providers here in BKK in the last three years. Here in BKK you have to have both. A tech company that provides the ADSL to the phone company and a regular ISP who provides access to the lousy internet backbone referenced in an earlier post.

My first ADSL connection was OK but once the promotion had run out (18 month contract for "tech" transfer and 180 hours of ISP for around 10,000 BHT including PCI ADSL modem) you were then forced to buy hours from the ISP and hours from the Tech company. This pushed the hourly cost up to over 80 THB per hour.

Currently I have the Telecom Asias' ADSL plan which is a combined ISP and Telco for 1,710 THB per month for 25 hours and an additional charge of 30 THB per hour over 25. Cost 6,000 THB for the USB modem and if you get them on a promotion installation can be free. The only caveat is that you must be a Telecom Asia phone subscriber (your phone number starts with a 6) If you are a CAT subscriber (your phone number starts with a 2) you are stuck with the two tiered pricing plan.

Speeds are no where near the advertised 128 / 256 and as already discussed you still face the bottle neck of getting to the real information highway. It is sort of like getting to Pattaya on a motorcycle; getting down Sukhumvit to 154 B for the highway is the problem.

Don't have a clue as to the cost of cable modem broadband here in BKK but it is available and I don't think you would have the drain factor mentioned by an earlier poster, since not many people would be able to afford it and cable TV. Most Thais in the need high speed will go to a web cafe, or have one at work.

So I agree with the originator of this thread I just don't know if it is worth it to "Just do it!!" in LOS.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldnt really say for the US (at least i think thats where you are) but in the UK ADSL is costing me around 27gbp per month with tiscali, but cable seems to start at only 18gbp per month with NTL or Telewest.

But this is only for a 150kbps speed.

I think it is 25gbp for a 512kbps speed.

Hope this helps..

This is kinda what I figured -- the typical clusterfuck for little or no benefit. I get 53K over dial-up and that's very cheap and reasonably reliable; why on *earth* would I want to pay huge fees (which no one seems to even be able to articulate with 100% certainty) for something only marginally better?

At home in the US, I have unlimited 768k/768k DSL. Reliable and fast for about $100 US per month including ISP charges (with 2 static IPs and no bogus filtering, so I can run my own domain).

Fast enough for me is slightly better thatn 57Kb, but just a bit, but I need it to not fluctuate too greatly below that level.

If you have a normal TA telephone line you might want to give the new TA Easy service a try as no signup needed. I have been getting download speed over 60k with 48k connect speed this week (able to download 17-18 mgs per hour). Much higher than INET connections and it has been stable for long periods. Using D-link modem so with slow (500 MHZ) computer I am using can't do much else as processor usage is in the 98% range. :(

Hmm, even more confusion after my call to TA. They said they ONLY offer a 30 hour a month dsl package for the home. Oh, so I say what if I want to use the internet more than one hour a day (or God forbid it is a month with 31 days in it)? "No have, but you can surf thai sites more than 30 hours". WTF? :onfire: I did learn about something called click TA which is 250 baht a month for unlimited 56k modem. It will cut the connection after 2 hours, but sounds like a good deal.

TA Easy can be used on any TA phone line by just setting up a new connection to telephone number 029000000 and using the name easy with no password. Bill is included in monthly phone bill envelope. It is high end in price at 12 baht per hour but circuit has been much faster than others and it is an easy way to check and good for backup (perhaps for the Click TA).

I would like to know what the internet service options in Thailand. is cable internet service provider available.?

if not how much it cost to get the DSL in bangkok?

any recomendation for a reliable provider?

Thx

Archived