Moving to LOS - How did you do it?

mongatu

I have found a new goal in life and that is to eventually move to LOS, fall in love with a tg and hopefully live happily ever after (still in LOS of course). I know that a lot of posters here have already done it. And it is not so simple a thing to do. There are work/career issues, financial issues, and I'm sure other things that haven't yet occurred to me. I would love to hear more details from those who have done it (successfully or unsuccessfully) about how you did it, the problems you encountered and how you solved them, how it is working out for you, etc. etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been travelling to LOS on business every month for the last 5 years. Over the period of time even I plan to settle down and live in LOS. My idea is not to work but to lead a retired life, now I'm 42 yrs., I plan to move in the next 2 to 3 yrs. I've been working on how to get there. I'm working on 2k USD per month for next 20 yrs.

Working all my life in the high-tech industry, am sick of life. seeing the computer screen for 12 hours a day. Dealing with boring people & techies. Seen million's go by, in the stock options & raising money through VC's. It is of late I really got down to do the maths as to how much money I need for the next 20 yrs.

I find LOS is great place to settle down, work wise your are far better off in the US, till such time it is better to work in US than to look for a job in LOS.

Sure you can have great time if your company sends you to LOS on US salary, you can have the best of both the worlds ::

cheers

vinod

Yeah, I wish I had worked for a company that would relocate me to LOS and pay me a foreign salary, but I'm a self employed professional so no chance of that happening. I'm going to have to do it by retiring there, and maybe just working (or even just volunteering) part time at something over there, more to have something to do (can't have sanuk all the time) than for the money.

So you think $2k per month would enable you to live comfortably. Be interested to hear how you arrived at that figure. Does it include the money you would have to spend on helping your gf's or wife's family? Does it include money for traveling back to visit the US or other places from time to time?

Says Mongatu:

So you think $2k per month would enable you to live comfortably.

I'll be trying a 3 month stint this summer. I've got maybe 2-3 years before I want to retire (could easily work another 15 years in my position, if need be).

I've set a budget of 2.3K USD/month, just to see what it feels like. I'll let ya know the results- if I survive! :)

Says Mongatu:

So you think $2k per month would enable you to live comfortably. Be interested to hear how you arrived at that figure.

Many guys are living from THB 20K - THB 30K per month. I know of an English teacher formerly working in Saudi Arabia and now teaching at an university getting THB 20K per month. Not a great deal (imo need for counting the beers), but it seems to be possible though.

What will you do when you are 62? Living in Thailand may not provide you the opportunity to put money away for the part of your life from 62 until your last gasp, which would statistically be at age 74.

The trouble with the move to LOS plan is that it seems to burn one's bridges behind. Add to that a reasonable concern that the Thai economy may go down in the next twenty years rather than up and there could be an impoverished old age at the end of the rainbow.

Khun Pad Thai

I am looking forward to your report. I am also hoping to spend 3 to 6 months in LOS this next year. I also think that $2k is a reasonable amount. Of course I am not a drinker, and I also find lots of things to do beside just sanuk all the time. I like to fly close to the ground and actualy think that too much money can get in the way of experiencing many aspects of life. Don't get me wrong I am not a backpacker type, but I certainly can play that part for set periods of time. As far as sending money to a future wifes family, I will be very up front. I will send a fixed amount period! Maybe $100 a month. If this is a problem then I will easily find another wife. As someone said in another post somewhere, the optimal would be finding a wife who is an orphan, with no siblings, problem solved.

For me the idea isnt to live like a king in LOS, but rather live like a very comfortable Thai. And for all I can tell $2k would easily qualifiy.

"What will you do when you are 62? Living in Thailand may not provide you the opportunity to put money away for the part of your life from 62 until your last gasp, which would statistically be at age 74."

I would be really interested in someone doing some meaningful research perhaps for their masters degree or similar on what is the average life/residency expectancy for someone from the west moving to Thailand.

Every week you read in the Pattaya Mail or similar of guys jumping from their apartments. The Police and authorities have made clear that they do not like the term 'tourists' being used here as they feel most are longer term residents (albeit probably on a visa run and helping the TAT achieve signifigant increases in tourist arrivals!!). My English builder has remarked to me, he has lost count of the people he has known who have died since moving to Pattaya. Seems a common occurence at least here.

A natural reaction would be that its lifestyle related - A piece in the Bangkok Post or similar summed it up nicely for me. A doctor being asked about the risks of drug taking, prostitution etc replied along the lines of:

"Choices that (Thai) people make in their life are their own, however its our job to ensure that people are fully aware of the facts. These facts are that people who are prostitutes, drug takers and drink lots of alcohol will quite simply not live as long as other people who do not partake in these lifestyles." - I read that many times and thought what a nice succinct way of saying it without obviously putting down those people partaking in these life reducing lifestyles. Same could also apply to motorbike riders without helmets !!!

Same applies to the Farang in the scene I guess. All of which brings me back to the original point, how long do people live on average for in Thailand that have come from the West?

Dont think we will be able to reach a definative answer but I know of 1 guy, came here and bought a very nice house with his boyfriend. All seemed well, he went back to Europe to keep his flying licence up to date with the required flying time and during one such flight, his plane crashed and he died. Nothing to do with the Pattaya scene. Interestingly enough the guy who owned the house before him, died in the UK before it was finished. Not sure who will want to buy that piece of land once his probate is concluded.

Cheers

MikeJaah did a post in June of 2002 on a Monthly budget for BKK, you can get to it by this username or search on BKK.

I am moving to BKK this year and will be living on a pension. I expect to have a budget similar to the one suggested in the post. More specifically, excluding nightlife, I expect to have a budget of just under 70,000 baht per month which is equal to $1,750 US per month. My nightlife budget is planned for an additional $500 US per month for a total of $2,250 US ( a little bit more than the 2K mentioned elsewhere in this thread - probably could manage the budget a bit better than planned and come in at 2K).

Archived