Studying in Bangkok

gsoutien

Since I got my BS degree almost 7 years ago, I've always wanted to go for a Master. I was recently in Thailand (came back 2 days ago) and it suddenly hit me. Why not study in Thailand?

My first question would be: Is that a good idea? What's the best university in Bangkok? How much could it cost to be enrolled for a degree such as MA, or MBA?

As always, your help will be much appreciated.

Lots of Thai unis now offer recognised MA, MS and MBA degrees for international students. Try the unis' websites ... Thammasat, Chula, Mahidol, Assumption etc. Thammasat is probably best for the money. (Chula may cost you double as much.)

Realise that the fees may be more for non-Thai students. But it will still be cheap compared to western prices.

The pages may be in Thai, but hunt around and you will usually find a link to the English pages.

what's the reason you want to get a MA or MBA?

to beef up your CV/resume?

if yes then think that there are MA and MA and that there are MBA and MBA and the poeple who will recruit you will certainly compare rankings and ask you for the reason you made your MA or MBA in thailand. be prepared to answer those questions!

Unfortunately, I have come to the same conclusion. That unless your study is directly related to Asia eg. MA in asian studies/language or MBA in noodle management then you would be better of spending your money on a extended holiday instead. Athough a great idea....just makes sure it is asian focused.

I concur with Samak and Norofloxacin. I considered this option at one point, and despite that Chula offered a course that was geared in my direction and area of speciality, I opted not to. Having worked in the tertiary sector and talking to many academics, I am aware of the poor reputation that many Thai unis have. There are several other things that I weighed up, and in the end it wasnt worth the money to go chasing the dream of sanuking and studying at the same time, coz face it, that is what you are after. Do the Masters at a well known Western Uni, then try to get a job in LOS and enjoy the benefits of working as an expat.

Cheers

Jaga

Chula has an MBA program that is designed and taught by profs from both Wharton and Kellog.

2 of the top business schools in the US. The MBA program was(2001) ranked as the 10th best MBA

program in Asia according to the Financial Times(UK). It is the Sasin School of business. It is a very credible

program.

G

There are over a million MBA grads a year. If you think about moving back, I don't see how an mba from around here will stand you in better stead than a good regional from wherever your at. Most likely be a detriment.

A significant part of an MBA (and some argue the biggest part) program is the connections that you make. If you are thinking of staying around here, than it's cool, but the connections you make here will not have as much applicability back home than SE Asia.

<<burp>>

Archived