"how much did you pay?!"

pattaya127

It seems a normal thing here, but is it, really?

Whenever I buy something for GFs (the one now + past ones), or thai friends, though they may not ask outright, at some point, they have to ask how much I paid for it, which of course I always find rude at first, and may reply, mostly to GFs : "do you have to know?". Most annoying is the answer: "well, here in Thailand, no problem we ask". Somehow, I just don't believe it is so proper still, especially if they ask as the gift has just been offered. Sharing my quandary?

Interesting. Maybe you could tell the Thai people that in YOUR culture, when you buy someone a gift, you don't tell them the price. Tell them in your country, when you give a gift, if you forget to take the price tag off of it, it is very embarrasing for you and maybe try to explain why. Seems like on this board, everyone is always being told we need to respect thier culture....at the risk of not being "PC correct" maybe they should learn to respect some of our culture values also :D

In San Fran it would be out or order but in Pattaya it is not at all. Like many of what we may consider blemishes we find under the makeup it is just natural and should not be taken as an offense. If they do the same thing outside Thailand it would be wrong and I am sure they would appreciate being told so they don't do it again. But here we should be the person learning, even if we don't agree.

In my experience its pretty common, as well as questions like "how much do you earn", questions that we would not consider proper. The questions here *are* considered OK to ask (just conversation basically), and it is perfectly OK (expected even) to answer the question in a funny/offhand/non direct way...i.e. "How much was this?".."all the money I had on me", "I'll be eating rice for a month to pay for it" or anything else. Its just noise really.

-j-

I agree. One time, I was wearing some very cool sunglasses to a picnic. They were a new retro sytle I haven't seen in the LOS- at least not yet. A Thai guy sitting next to his GF and his sisters took notice. He asked me how much. I felt like I was on the spot and the women looked very eager to hear the amount. I simply paused a moment and said, "too much" in a disappointed way. The Thai guy waited for me to elaborate but I didn't. I'm not sure how he and the girls took my vagueness. It felt like my sunglasses were being used as a gauge of my income or spending habits.

You know, now that you mention it, I think have picked up that habit from the time that I've spent in Thailand. ::

I am a bit nosey and I do what to know what everybody paid for everything. :)

I also live in New York City, where it is a long standing practice to ask anyone one you meet who lives here how much their rent is. Always proceeded by the polite form, "If you don't mind me asking..." ::

Now I find myself asking about the price of almost anything I'm curious about. Women seem to have a hard time with it than guys. Not that I ask many women what they have paid for something.

Anyway, I don't think it's such a big deal except when I'm asked by a stranger, or a messenger waiting for my signature asks how much rent I pay. Yes, I'm still annoyed about that guy. :onfire:

When Thai friends ask what you paid it's usually to see to what degree you were overcharged. My wife asks how much I paid for anything I buy in Thailand and then will be shocked and goof on me about how I was overcharged. Then again, to her every Baht is a BIG DEAL. :p

In the school in my wife's village they have a black board with details of all the teachers, including their salaries (ranging from 6000 baht for the newbies to 20000 baht for the most experienced). Never seen anything like this in Europe; so yes, I think Thailand is different.

Archived