"how much did you pay?!"

pattaya127

It felt like my sunglasses were being used as a gauge of my income or spending habits.

A month ago I was offered a cup of tea buy a thai woman. Nice Tea, English brand, but nothing spectacular so far as I could tell. I forget how the subject of price came up, but she said she had paid 1800B for a box of 24 packets tea. She seemed quite pleased with herself for being able to afford it.

I enquired a bit. Appearantly some minor Thai actress has associated herself with this brand of tea, and attributes her slimness and beauty to the tea, and sells it to those desiring the same. For quite a tidy profit it would seem...

Thai's are just as into status symbols as we westerners, though the post-modern pretended disinterest has not yet caught on. Maybe a bit more gullible too. Thais gererally are not shy at all about talking about price, earnings, etc. I remember on my second visit to the LOS being asked by some rich guy's teenage son how much I made at my job, and upon my answer he asked "Is that all?" LOL

a black board with details of all the teachers, including their salaries

:applause:

The salaries of everyone in every country should be published. A market works only if the information is flowing. (Strange that all these CEOs which are preaching the advantages of a free market at every occasion don't want that their job market is a free market....)

Best regards

Yes, many of us do a lot of learning about how things are done in Thailand while in Thailand ;)

As other posters have said, you can "side step" the issue and say something like "it cost too much" or "I don't know how muc it cost, my mom gave it to me"

I think I was just saying, while in Thailand, you could say in a kind, warm, and loving way that we don't tell how much we paid for a gift, coz a gift comes from the heart and that is what matters.

I suppose I could understand if Thai people are curious about how much we get ripped off buying stuff from other Thai people ha ha ha. :: :cussing:

Archived