Todays Bangkok Post

butterfly

Well, let's see...erratic (?) global economy, the "war on terror", the war on Iraq, SARS, let's not forget Thailand's own "back to family values campaign", and on top of all that it is low season. :(

For anyone in the tourist business in Thailand right now things could be better. On the bright side the attraction of those female pheramones is very strong (!!!) so we can hold out some hope of a quick recovery and a stabile high season. ::

As for me, I will continue to do my part and recommend Thailand as the number one tourist destination in the world to one and all. ;)

With the Thai bureaucrats' usual "creativity", expect something like that wonderful Amazing Thailand campaign. We heard amazing this and amazing that until we were ready to scream!

One big problem is that the average tourist isn't quite sure just where Thailand is, other than in Asia -- and Asia has SARS!!! (Look at the Looney Planet board, where people post in the SE Asia tree asking questions about Korea and Japan. And these folks are supposed to be "world travellers".)

?I'm sure this will result in them being resentful and blaming foreigners for something or another?

Interesting. Resentment in tl is something we don?t notice so much but you?re right, there?s quite a bit when you look.

Archived