Thailand driver license/permit for non-resident

...coming to Thailand for extended stay after many visits last several years; new to this site.

I intend to own and register a vehicle(s?) in Thailand)... assume this is no problem?

Is it possible and relatively easy for a farang to acquire a Thai driver's license/permit?... how would I pursue this?

I am not yet a Thai speaker or reader. -JJ [color:"black"] [/color]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

1) own and register - yes, should be no problem.

2) driving license - requires a non-immigrant visa (among a few other things like picture, medical certificate etc). The test in itself will not be anything to worry about...if I am to believe the stories I've heard.

You'll find a Department of Transport office (that handles these things) at Sukhumvit Soi 62. -- I think this is the head office. Many a shady figures outside this building trying to sell you fake registration papers & what not. TIT! :)

Straycat said:

You'll find a Department of Transport office (that handles these things) at Sukhumvit Soi 62. -- I think this is the head office.

Hi

I think that is the main office (opposite Soi 62 on Suk) but you are required to get your license at the Dept of Trans Office in the district where you are residing. There are at least 4 or 5 other offices in Bankgok.

Hi JJ, and to all users of this site. I am also a 'newbie' to this site and this is my first attempt at a reply/ or indeed a post. Therefore forgive me for my poor navigation through all the terms and stuff, I'll no doubt learn as I go. Anyway here goes with my contribution.

As soon as you engraciate yourself into the thai system you will find out all too soon that it is not always LOS, that I presume is land of smiles., and I hope this isn't sensitive enough to be removed at my first attempt.

Firstly, if you don't already have a thai girlfriend or friend with the smarts, find one. To engage in this venture alone is a mine field, virtually all thai's know the system and can sort it in a fraction of the time that you will waste.

2nd. Thai licenses are 1 yr and renewable, International i believe are longer.

3rd. Be absolutely sure what document you wish to use to obtain a thai license as it is automatically assumed and expected to produce the same doc. next time round.

4. vehicle reg. tax etc. don't fly around accommodation wise, try to remain in the same distict otherwise the paperwork will turn you off at a stroke next time round.

5. now the not so nice stuff.

As farangs are natural targets for the "roadside collectors" be aware, the minimum endorsement for road offenses is 60 points. At 80 points you automatically lose your license and have to go for 'driver training' before re-issue of said license. This is certain for a thai license, possibly not so strict for an Int' Lic. so be sure which you choose.

6. Do not opt for a 'dodgy Int' Lic. that will bring the wrath of god upon you should you be sussed.

7. If you intend purchasing a used vehicle 2 or 4 wheels, make sure you can locate the past two previous owners. You will require documentation only they can provide, and lastly buy farang wherever possible. The thai understanding of regular maintenance and upkeep is to re-fuel.

8. Always purchase fully comp ins. or be damned.

Hope this helps, more if needed.

for those about to rebutt, all the above stats. are from experience not hearsay.

cool hand.

for those about to rebutt, all the above stats. are from experience not hearsay
That, depending on the amount of experience, does not make it any more true than hearsay. Appreciate that you took the time to post but must rebut with my experience, which seems to be a little different:

1. Very few Thai have a clue about this type of thing and only the language and cool head/smile are to their advantage.

2. Only one year type are now available. Lifetime are no longer issued AFAIK. International are of course accepted for tourists but not for residents.

3. I guess you mean if you need motorcycle endorsement be sure to obtain it?

4. I assume you are saying keep it registered in the same area because you would have to start over in a new area? Sounds right.

5. Somehow I doubt 'roadside collectors' are out to award points if given a choice. But will defer to your experience on this one as have none myself in my 33 years of having a Thai license.

6. You should have a proper licence, agreed. Although most cases are not settled in court but in the police station or among the insurance people. But if you licence is not valid you would likely be the one doing the paying.

7. Most people buy new but have never heard of any reason to 'locate' the last two owners unless it is a very suspect vehicle! The person/company you buy from should have all the paperwork required.

8. Agree. Insurance is cheap and needed.

Thanks Lopburi for the input, we appear to agree on most points. Perhaps I can elaborate somewhat on those points where there isn't agreement for the benefit of those viewing, and update the board on what's happening out there these days. on the road.

I bow to your knowledge of Int. Licences. Personally my British license ( which qualifies me as an advance driver, licensed to drive vehicles in every category from A1 to D+E, for those unfamiliar with the british license system that basically gives me authority to drive anything on wheels other than an armoured personel vehicle. I'm also a trained formular 1st and rally driver. My license has always been acceptable anywhere in the world where I've had acare to drive, therefore never sought an Int. Lic.

My Thai experience (8 yrs) isn't as extensive as yours, but it is recent, and that's where the main difference might be.

Recently in an effort to be more credible, the local constabulary are now ( sometimes when their mood takes them) reverting to follow legistive guidlines by 'nicking' you instead of shaking you down. This for the most part is far more harrowing than being asked to donate to a favourite charity as your time is taken up wholesale with paperwork based around trumped up charges levied by a gun toting individual representing the legislators. With no recourse, and no opportunity to use the legal system to rebut the charges and prove your innocence. Times are a changing but not neccessarily for the better - yet!

An endorsement by the way is a blight on an otherwise 'clean' license designed to punish and eventually deny driver freedom for repeat road offences!!!!!!!! and I had to come here to get it. It will certainly be another century before that system works here (Thailand).

Every single day I witness the most horrendous acts savage indifference and lack of courtesy towards other road users - especially toward 2 wheelers. But that is managable, what isn't managable is the constant ( at least 6 times per day) singling out of the farang by the law keepers.

I am indeed referring to purchasing used/second hand vehicles, especially where motorcycle purchase is concerned. Being an avid motocyclist of the big bike type, and driving every day everywhere on a daily basis in Bkk (and cars) I can endorse my earlier comments on used car/bike purchases.

On a lighter note:

As for the savvy of the locals, I'll defend at least those who derive their income during the day as smart sharp and in the know. Most, if not all have acquired a University education and are streetwise to boot.

The girlfriend market is only resticted to the BG's if that's where one chooses to socialize.

Lastly WOW 33 yrs and no incidents, that a record breaker, well done.

Hiya,

Thanks for the info... was planning to do without a visa; but guess I'd better get the visa to use, huh?

I getcha about the hucksters... pretty good at avoiding them; but there's always the chance I'd get fooled. Take care. -JJ

Archived