Thailand driver license/permit for non-resident

This sounds like the compulsory insurance to me, the government insurance which covers people, not cars. You might want to investigate her insurance carefully and ring the company if there is one, the amount of vehicles driving round without what we know as comprehensive insurance is frightening. For a new car this is usually 15-25K baht a year, I am trying to remember what a friend paid for her new honda city a few months ago.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says gene1944:

Re Rovingeye's questions on insurance:

Usually you buy the first years insurance when you purchase a new car so the ins. cost is included in the total price. Sometimes there is a promotion where the dealer/manufacturer includes the insurance for a year for free. This is usually the case only for "less popular" car models to motivate sales.

It is my understanding that once the car is insured, anyone driving it is also insured.

Hers was a honda. There was no additional cost for the insurance. A small token for her paying cash for the car.

I will talk to the insurance company when I go back. She is not real up on the topic. Like I said, she thinks she is insured BY the post office, not just paying the bill there.

Honda CRV insurance coverage by Honda = 27,600 per year.

This is their top coverage and includes replacement with authentic Honda parts if in accident. Sales person told me this was a discount from the normal price but dont know if that is true or not.

Got my thai drivers licence last week.. No work permit needed. 2 small pics, medical certificate, letter from your embassy and a photocopy of every relivant page of your passport with a non immigrant O

For financing. Need: Thai guarentor and a payslip from a thailand based company ( 3 months), passport, work permit, and bank book photocopy. They prefer if the thai guarentor is from Bangkok not the Bann Aock

Says bahnawk:

Proof of residence from immigration also works for car registration/drivers license and is free but you need to provide them with some proof of your residence as opposed to the embassy where they accept any address you tell them, but charge ß2000+ (US Embassy) for the affadavit.

Proof of residence is OK if obtained from Immigration, in Samui they charge 500Baht for this service and you need 2 pix as well.

Once you have your drivers licence you need to renew it every year and need again a proof of residence with 2 pix (if obtained at Immigration), a copy of your passport incl. current non immi visa and about 160 Baht for a bike and cra license.

If you want a car and a bike license, you need a proof of residence for each license, although a copy would do.

I always thought the head office of the DOT was on Viphavadi Rangsit? At least that's what the Brit Embassy has lead me to beleive?

I seriously don't know...as said by one poster here, there are a lot of local branches and for renewal of the license you need to contact your local office.

I've been directed to the office opposite of Sukhumvit Soi 62 though on a few occasions to take care of vehicle registration matters. It's a rather large building -- I would guess it's a head office of some sorts but as said... I don't know....

:dunno:

Archived