How serious and widespread is Hep B?

SingaporeSteve

During routine Medical in Bumrungrad, they identified that I had no protection against Hep B and advised me to have a vacine (which I did) that is good for 80% prevention (i.e 20% chance of not protecting). Apparently that is the best there is and given over 3 injections. Did this about 2 years ago.

I had never really thought of Hep B as its not so commonly mentioned as all the others but I understand it is life threatening. Anyone know the low down on Hep B?

I know it affects the liver, how common is it in Thailand and do bars check their girls for it I wonder (assuming the same bars are also checking for HIV). Almost seems overlooked at least in my mind compared with HIV. The little nurse administering the vacine did not seem to know how its transmitted. I remember something about picking it up from a toothbrush (but that could be either Hep A,B or C).

Cheers

heptitis B is transmitted by blood, the same way AIDS is transmitted. many people with hep B develop livercancer in later stages of their lives. even more dangerous and long term debilitating is hep C.

and yes, hep B is very common.

Hepatitis B is transmitted mainly by percutaneous (e.g.dirty needles) and nonpercutaneous (sexual) routes. Major risk is progression to chronic hepatitis which occurs in less than 2 % of normal adults, but up to 90% in newborns. Chronic hepatitis leads to cirrhosis in 24-40% of infected individuals. Fulminant hepatitis (liver failure) occurs in less than 1% of adults with acute hepatitis B.

Last I checked, rate in Thailand is approximately 8% in general population

Hi guys,

Yes, is pretty scary stuff.

I contacted it, in BBK, about 5 years ago.

I was awestruck, as I took all preventitive methods (business trip, no sanuk) and am still at a lost how I contrcated it.

Fortunately, my body developed antibodies (the infection was minor and the body handle it). Thus, I cannot catch the same thing twice (there are other nasties I know).

You always have your health, is the most important stamenet you hear in life. Live long, love long time!

Cheers

>>>Last I checked, rate in Thailand is approximately 8% in general population<<<

that sounds very high.

how does that number compare to the west, and to other countries in the region?

Archived