How Do I Partition my HD? Do I Need To?

gawguy

Hi!

we are techies who can help the rest of the community.

That was precisely what I was trying to do. It pisses me off when clueless people post bad information that might cause problems for those with limited knowledge on the subject.

What a laugh would MVS guys have over you and me with our Unix.

I have never worked with IBM machines so I wouldn't know. I have worked with Univac's EXEC OS though which also originally i was operated through punch card readers. Those were the days, or maybe not. :grinyes:

regards

ALHOLK

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Windows understands is only an issue if you want to exchange data between different OS. Of course, you format your Linux partitions with Linux. If you want it to be readable by Windows, you choose file system appropiate for that from your Linux installation.

Its enough for partition admin that its seen as an unknown parttion, and not as empty space. Which Fdisk, Diskpart and whatever you use in Windows does for parttions which are not recognised.

I don't see any problem, Partition Magic is used if you want to expand/merge parttions. If not, you are fine with what you get in Linux/Windows.

Be aware that you need a parttion magic for servers if you want to use partition magic on server versions of Windows.

Cheers!

Hello Bibblies,

The key is next to the 1, pressed without shifting. I can't illustrate because it doesn't type on this computer, it just switches. Anyway it is more convenient to push one key than two.

I switch a lot.

I am all set now with languages and programs. Don't need to partition.

Thanks

GG

Archived