How Do I Partition my HD? Do I Need To?

gawguy

Try running the command FDISK and see it it does not erase everything. which it will. I never mentioned going out and buying an addition Partition magic did I???

orginal poster......

Better not to waste your $40US in buying partitiion magic as Aloha says when you can just get around it with Thai fonts or getting Thai masters for free to help with it.. Fortunately for me I can read Thai

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got Windows XP, pretty similar to 2000. To add to what buksida says, there's a changeable key sequence you can use (the default is LeftAlt+Shift) to switch between keyboard locales. (On XP, look on the Details button under the Language tab on Regional and Language Options to change it.)

The other way to switch languages is with the language bar, which should appear in the bottom right of the task bar when you've got the choice of more than one language option. You'll see an EN if it's on English or a TH if it's on Thai. Try clicking or double-clicking on it to change between them. (Now you know what to do after a Thai's used a PC in an Internet cafe btw. That one used to flumox me!)

>I've got Windows XP, pretty similar to 2000. To add to what buksida says, there's a changeable key sequence you can use (the default is LeftAlt+Shift) to switch between keyboard locales. (On XP, look on the Details button under the Language tab on Regional and Language Options to change it.)

Before that, you have to install Thai fonts. They come with XP and are packed with Japanese and Taiwanese set. Without that XP would not do Thai for you.

Says bibblies:

I've got Windows XP, pretty similar to 2000. To add to what buksida says, there's a changeable key sequence you can use (the default is LeftAlt+Shift) to switch between keyboard locales. (On XP, look on the Details button under the Language tab on Regional and Language Options to change it.)

The other way to switch languages is with the language bar, which should appear in the bottom right of the task bar when you've got the choice of more than one language option. You'll see an EN if it's on English or a TH if it's on Thai. Try clicking or double-clicking on it to change between them. (Now you know what to do after a Thai's used a PC in an Internet cafe btw. That one used to flumox me!)

This switching only helps if you want to enter a different non-latin language, but it does not help if you want to run Thai software, written for Thai windows. For this you need to change the default language settings and reboot the computer (as described above). I have to do this frequently when I want to run my Japanese scan software to scan text. Then I am able to read the Japanese menues. Only switching the input language and keeping the system language won't work.

Yes, FDISK can fuck up the HD if used by cluless wankers like yourself. That is probably why it has been removed from some of the later WIndoze editions.

I never mentioned FDISK. I specifically recomended PartitionMagic so he could REPARTITION his disk. I also suggested that he probably didn't have to do any partitioning.

Better not to waste your $40US in buying partitiion magic

I bought it at Pantip last year for 100 Baht. :neener:

Fortunately for me I can read Thai

Jolly good work. Now why don't you make an effort to learn some English before commenting on posts written in that particular language.

On the other board you made a pathetic post that a Swedish sailor rescued king Chulalongkorn from drowning. You really should restrict yourself to post on issues that you know anything about. After you have learned some English that is.

ALHOLK

P.S. It's Mr. Arseholk to you.

When I used Shift-Alt to change languages, it did change the language, but also activated the menus because alt was pressed. This took a few keystokes to rectify each time.

However, there is an alternative switch available in the regional settings. The upper left hand key just below the esc key. One key press and no mess. Works 100% better for me.

GG

The wanabe techie.

>If you call a verbal fight between a software engineer and an English teacher a techie fight you can't have much knowledge about technical issues.

Alholk,

Being a software engineer myself for 20 years, I don't understand why are you blasting WIYD?

I may have missed something, but he just tried to help. If he is not correct and you are, why don't you just tell how it should work? You have enough credibility here, don't you?

Yes, FDISK can fuck up the HD if used by cluless wankers like yourself. That is probably why it has been removed from some of the later WIndoze editions.

Not sure what you mean here, but the potential destructiveness of fdisk has nothing whatsoever to do with its absence in Windows NT-based Windows systems (NT, 2000, XP).

Fdisk.exe is an MS-DOS executable. As the disk systems in Windows 9x-based systems (95/98/Me) are DOS-centric, fdisk was retained as the partitioning utility in those OSes. It underwent only minor changes over the years, mainly to add so-called "large disk" support (new partition types were introduced to support FAT32 and disks > 1024 cylinders).

For NT, fdisk was never considered for inclusion as-is or as a basis for the partitioning tool to ship with the OS. Instead, the precise functionality of fdisk was provided by windisk.exe. The reasons behind this were mainly:

1) Fdisk.exe is a 16 bit DOS exe. Such exes do not have sector-level access to hard drives on NT-based systems. Therefore a Win32 exe was required.

2) Fdisk is not exactly a model of usability and comprehensibility. It was felt that as long as a new executable had to be written, it might as well be a nice GUI-based thing.

Windisk.exe appeared in earlier versions of NT. In more recent versions, windisk.exe was absorbed into the Veritas-provided volume management software (the disk management MMC snap-in).

So precisely the same detrimental effect that can be caused by incorrect use of fdisk on DOS/Win9x can be achieved quite readily on NT/2000/XP as well.

I specifically recomended PartitionMagic so he could REPARTITION his disk

You are trying to make a subtle semantic argument that makes no sense. Using fdisk to delete existing partitions and then recreate new ones is just as much "repartitioning" as is using a third-party product that preserves the data on existing partitions when it resizes them.

Archived