How Do I Partition my HD? Do I Need To?

gawguy

Before I was having problems getting good info about setting up to write in Thai on my laptop running Win2000. Problem solved, thank you all!!

Now... I have bought a Thai dictionary CD, very good I think. Big problem. All the menu choices are "?????????????" and when I type in Thai words to search for the words I type are slop. If there is an easier way to fix this than installing Thai Windows pleeeeease tell me.

If I have to install Thai Windows, I have a few free gigs on the HD. What I would do if I understood someone's advice, is partion the disk drive and when I want to run Thai programs I would boot from the Thai partition, other wise I would boot from the English partition.

Is that right? How do I set it up?

Thanks a million.

GG

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!

I don't read enough Thai myself to use Thai programs but I have a friend in Pattaya that is fluent in Thai and used to have a Windows2000 machine where he could swithch between Thai and Latin characters. I'm not sure how this is done though.

If you really need to partition your machine I suggest that you try to get a copy of 'Partition Magic 8.0'. This will make the partitoning easy and optionally install a boot manager. I use this to run more than one OS from the same disk.

regards

ALHOLK

Wow. Another post without having a clue or reading the original post.

REPARTITIONING won't normally erase any infomation when using Partition Magic. That's what the program is all about. That said it is still a good idea to back up all important information before starting.

To make your windows 2000 'read' Thai programs you need to make sure your locale is Thai and not US.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional Options

Then make sure you have 'language settings for the system' with BOTH Western European and US AND Thai selected.

Then Make Thai the default (select Thai then click 'set default')

Then go to 'Your locale' and switch it from 'Egnlish (United States)' to Thai. It'll copy some system files and promt you to re-boot. I take it you already have already gone to 'keyboard' and added Thai to your input locales.

You don't need to install a Thai OS, Win2000 does it all.

Unless you use a program as suggested (Partition Magic) you will lose everything by changing your partitions by using a boot disk/CD.

Says gummigut:

"Win2000 does it all."

The garbage is still sitting next to my desk. Computer same same girlfriend, sigh.

Still looking for that perfect relationship that will take the garbage out in the morning.

If you stay long enough with your computer you wouldn't have any problems with your GF, because she will have gone after a while. :neener:

I'm still looking for 'Mia Noi 6.0' instead of 'Photostrop 5.5'.

Even though i said she needed a 'hard dic' and her 'ports were not responding' probably due to her 'peripherals hanging'... and the garbage is still there :p

Thank you for the help...

The step-by-step instructions worked perfectly.

Now I am running a Thai Dictionary and a typing tutor.

Both very good and only 180 baht each.

I have one little problem which may not be surmountable. I have done all my work over the years in Lotus Smartsuite, which uses a Lotus word processor. When I try to access them with the Thai regional setting turned on, the Lotus word processor will not run. I open the file selection box, click on a file and the program crashes. I assume this is because the Thai setup is looking for Thai stuff that isn't there?

What do you think?

GG

Archived