US bank account/address whilst living in Thailand

Palatkik

Do some US$ based bank accounts in the US allow solely overseas mailing addresses for statements and cards? My Citibank account needs a US address to receive any new plastic and the current US address I have will soon be gone so I would either have to use a friends address (not really desirable) or set up accounts some other way in order to receive the bank documents in Thailand.

Have others on this board worked around this some how?

Cheers

I have a Citi expat account. Company sponsored. Cost is more than $50 per month. They allow overseas addresses, I think.

Serviced out of Florida.

I'd look at other alternatives to see if there's something cheaper.

There are auto-mail-forwarding services in the US. You could have them send out your mail once a week or so. I forget the names of them because I looked into it several years ago...Mail Box? Using a service like that has the additional benefit of getting all of your mail forwarded.

"There are auto-mail-forwarding services in the US. You could have them send out your mail once a week or so. I forget the names of them because I looked into it several years ago...Mail Box? Using a service like that has the additional benefit of getting all of your mail forwarded."

http://www.mbe.com

I'll be inquiring about their services before I move to LOS.

Seems like Citibank at least now offer mailing addresses outside of the US, so I can change from a US address to a Thai one to continue getting statements and cards. They didn't offe this last year - but just checked again and they can do now.

Cheers

"There are auto-mail-forwarding services in the US. You could have them send out your mail once a week or so. I forget the names of them because I looked into it several years ago...Mail Box? Using a service like that has the additional benefit of getting all of your mail forwarded."

You might want to take a look at USABox

I use a bill pay service called www.paytrust.com here in the US. Any statements, notices or correspondence they post for you online. any bills you get they post online. for all bills you just click pay and they send out a check to the payee. If your new credit card comes in they forward the new card to you. The service is $10.95US per month. I have been with them for 3 years and never had a problem. It is also great when you are travelling. You never have to worry about missed bills. When they receive a bill or a notice they send you an email. You just set it up where all bills go to paytrust. I think it is one of the greatest services the internet has to offer. I have not written a check or bought a stamp in three years.

• 2 weeks later...

I opened an account with a MBE after I moved to LOS. I was going to open the account before I left the US but it was rather expensive, about $30 per month, and the good old USPS promised to forward my mail for one year free of charge. Bad mistake. I had my mail forwarded to a friend in CA while I set up a POB in LOS, then sent in the card with the new forwarding address. Unfortunately the Thai postal code has 5 digits like the US zip code and most of my mail apparently was being forwarded to zip code 10112 which is NYC. I assume whoever got my mail just threw it away or kept what they wanted. The email that I sent to the USPS concerning the whereabouts of my mail were ignored. If I move from BKK I can have the MBE people hold my mail until I get a new address and I do not have to change addresses with my bank, etc. Also MBE will discard magazines and junk mail if you direct them to do so.

sandyeggo

Archived