Advice Required - We're expecting!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think your wife has any other choice than to go with option #1 if she is serious about a career. As an employer, I wouldn't hire a woman who quit a previous job just because she was pregnant. She has some time before she has to tell her current employer about the pregnancy and she should use that time to show what a valuable employee she is. If she does that, her boss should not have a problem with it and will still hire her after the probation period is up. If not, it still won't be a blot on her CV when she looks for another job. Also pregnancy is remarkably resilient to job stresses.

If you can afford it financially I'd go for option 2. There is no replacement for a mother's breast milk and nurturing in the first 1-2 years. Odds are there will be other jobs out there for your wife latter. Your life will be much easier if she stays home. Good luck.

Girls react different during pregnancy. It a harder toll on some at periods.

I would go for 1, but also keep in mind that it might have to be changed quickly.

Shit happens during pregnancy in Thailand also, do not put too much focus on the company's situation and the need to be told early... The (mostly) guys in charge there has mums also, don't they?

Cheers!

1> Continue to work during the prenancy and stopping once she gets close to the due date.

The underlying risk I see is her stress levels being to high.

Depends on the person. But I think that this underlying risk is generally overstated in our society. Most women on the world just continue to work till one day before the birth of the child. And also in our rich countries, some hundreds years ago there was nothing as pregnancy holidays. I don't say that it is not hard to work during the pregnancy. I just say that it is possible (I know one case personally). So I would let decide your wife. If it is too hard for her she can still stop, can't she?

Best regards

So I think it would be culturally incorrect to expect the grandfather to take care of the baby as he is retired!

:: :: ::

What an argument!!! Why should it be culturally incorrect?!? In the contrary it would be very correct, after all the young people are paying the retirement of the old. And most old people just like to take care of their grandchildren. Of course only if he is healthy enough for it.

Why don't you just ask him?

Best regards

Naiv,

Yes you have found a flaw in my argument! My words did not represent what I was actually trying to say! By culturally insensitive I meant, I believe asking the father of my wife to be completely responsible for our baby whilst we are at work is culturally insensitive! i.e it puts too much of a burden on the head of the house! Whilst there will be exceptions to the rule this is a general rule of thumb!

I will expect him to play a role in raising his grandchild, but, I would not attempt to impose full daytime responsibility on him!

Sanukboot.

Naiv,

"all the young people are paying the retirement of the old"

In our case this is NOT the case! Our parents (both sides) refuse to accept any money from their children and ask us to save the money for our future! So not a valid point for my situation.

Sanukboot!

Hello SanukBoot,

I see. I have missunderstood you. I was thinking that the grandpa could look for the child one or two days per week. And of course only if he likes to do that.

Couldn't you pay someone to look after your child? If both of you are working you should have the money for it. Not that I think this is the best solution, but many parents here in Europe manage their duty with a mixture of the help of the grandparents, 80% job of the father and paid guarding of the children.

I hope that you will find a solution which will suit you and your wife.

Best regards

Says naiv:

Couldn't you pay someone to look after your child? If both of you are working you should have the money for it. Not that I think this is the best solution

Is that not a bit ironic ??? Join the ratrace !!!!

Work in order to be able to pay for extra luxury ???? :) :)

Cheers !

Archived