My dangerous city poll

gobbledonk

"By the way, in addition to the not-so-fun trip to Kabul, I did have a great trip to KL, which saw me scoring with (1) a Malay stunner I met on the plane (2) two teeny boppers I met in KLCC (don't ask how old please ), (3) A Finnish blonde bombshell I met at the Hard Rock across the street from where I was staying and (4) la piece de resistance - a model from Japan who was playing tourist with her friend in KL. I liked the latter so much I followed her back to Tokyo and stayed with her 4 days, thus, sucessfully avoiding the Songkran mess here."

Damn, I do wish KS would allow photos here ::

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Georgetown, Guyana, along with Bogota, Columbia, is probably the most dangerous city in South America, according to Lonely Planet. Violent crime is everywhere, especially in the Albertstown and Tiger Bay areas(lots of drug dealers). This is definitely a city where you have to take a taxi to go one block. In the Caribbean, Kingston, Jamaica and Trinidad vie for top honors. ::

Most dangerous cities....these are personal results, yours may vary:

1. Amsterdam. I have made three trips there, and every single one has involved a crime against me or my companion. One was involving a weapon - knifepoint mugging. Other two were purse snatchings.

2. KL. I only say this because this was the only other place in the world where I was the victim of a crime with a weapon: mugged at knifepoint again.

3. Berkeley. Had a bottle thrown past my head (not aimed at me, so don't count it as a crime against me) during a protest for a lunatic murdered in the university chancellor's mansion. Never mind the fact that she was carrying a machete and had previously indicated her plans to kill the chancellor. Murdered by a police officer who she lunged at. Of course the town wackos claimed police brutality - go figure.

4. San Francisco. Car was broken into FOUR times, one time I saw the dickhead as he did it. Drive-by shooting down the block one night. Other random goofiness.

5. Phnom Penh. Grenade thrown into a political rally in a park one night I was there. That was pretty funky.

Thailand is positively serene compared to these places, and I have NEVER (knock on wood) feared for my safety here. In China, I have a couple of times, but generally feel no fear.

Belem,

I know I've had a sheltered life, but I consider much of South America and sub-Saharan Africa to be 'war zones', whether there is an actual war being waged or its 'just' drug lords / gangs etc. If anything, the latter is even more dangerous as no-one is wearing a uniform, and they are all likely to start shooting without a word of warning to the unsuspecting Gringo sitting quietly in 'their' cafe ....

..... Could be .... Belem !! :: ;) ..... the narrow alleys between the Praca da Republica, the Ver O Peso market and the harbor .... very scary but the atmosphere of those decrepited and magicals Amazonian cities is unforgetable ... unforgetable as the beautifuls mixed-blood stunners of northern Brasil .... going there for a one week vacations i was so captivated by this city that i stayed one month !!

I chose my handle, Belem, after the northern Brazilian city located at the mouth of the Amazon. Four years ago, I was robbed in Rio walking back to my hotel on Avenida Atlantica from the Help Disco at 4 am. I will save you the details, but if you are walking the streets of Rio alone at night and a stranger asks you for a cigarette or the time, you are about to be robbed. I have a friend who rented a car in Guatemala and stopped to talked to a streetwalker. As they were negotiating, a group of shadows got closer to his vehicle, and he stepped on the gas. I heard El Salvador is so dangerous, they have a 6pm curfew on the streets of the capital city and the lights go out. :sleeping:

In Brasil I was robbed only once in Porto Velho.... maybe due to the proximity with the Peruvian and Bolivian borders the atmosphere there is much more 'wild wild west' than in Belem, which despite some rough areas is a pleasant and very charming Amazonian city ;

(congratulations for your handle BTW ;))

Agita Brasil :applause::beer: !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived