My dangerous city poll

gobbledonk

JetSetters,

I know that many of you are passionate about different parts of the world, and most of you have spent considerable time in cities which I consider 'dangerous', which is why I'd value your input in my poll. If you feel its a negative approach to the issue, then I appreciate that feedback too. I havent had a problem re personal safety in Thailand or China, and I hope for that good luck to stay with me on my next adventure :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've travelled alot, but usually enschew the really dangerous countries. The one country I did feel unsafe in was the US, although those occaisions were far outweighed by the good times. I would have to say that New York, Detroit, Orlando and New Orleans bus stations are by far the most frightening places I have ever visited.

Cheers

Jaga

Thanks, guys, but is there any chance that you might actually select one of the options on my poll ? I'm getting a lot of feedback for what seems like < 20 votes :)

I am kicking myself for not including 'Mexico City' as an option - a tragic combination of very big city and massive poverty - although it does fit in 'Other South American City'. Its a shame to hear that the Phillipines has such a bad rep for violence - individually, they are usually wonderful people. Again, poverty combined with easy access to weapons.

you are probably right, but despite enjoying my time in NYC I was pleased to get out of the bus station. I am a big guy, 6'6" and I work out and know how to handle myself. I suppose it was the fact that the panhandlers and bums demanded money of me, rather than asked for it. All this while a cop stood about 10 yards away.

Cheers

Jaga

most major US cities rank right up there, but I was in Africa this year, and Nairobi took top votes....you needed to take a taxi 2 blocks from the hotel to go eat dinner at night...it's not called Nairobbery for nothing...I was also told that Johannesburg S. Africa makes Nairobi look like a rural village.

Jaganath69: when was your trip to New York? Sounds like it was in the 80's from what you are saying. You would never have that experience there now. I was just in Port Authority at 2am the other night.. not a single concern. No bums. No hassles.

New York has come a long way. It's not the same city it was in the 80 or early 90's even.

Archived