My dangerous city poll

gobbledonk

New York has come a long way. It's not the same city it was in the 80 or early 90's even

Traveler,

I have also heard this sentiment from a variety of sources, hence my decision to leave it off the list of options. I have no doubt that there are still parts of NYC which I wouldnt want to wander through at any hour of the day, but Jersey seems to have a nastier rep. As for Atlanta : it hasnt attracted votes, but the stats tell a different story.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

My mate and me were trying to cross the High Sierra to Yosemite NP but it was totally snow bound, looking at the map we had to do a very inconvenient detour via Fresno/Bakersfield, we were warned not to stay in Fresno 'its a zoo' we were told, anyway we 'hauled ass' to Lone Pine at the gate way to Mount Whitney and Death Valley, only danger here was of freezing to death!!!

All--

I'm sure that ever corner of the earth has got one, but here's what tops my list..

Asia:

Macau

Europe:

Moscow

Africa:

Khartoum/Lagos/N'Djamena

South America:

Caracas/Mexico City/Medellin

Latin America:

Managua

North America:

Detroit/Liberty City (FL)

--UPSer

Your list is enough to keep me home for some time UPS'er. Countries like Nigeria is scary shit.

BTW, those communist countries keep strict disipline until they fall apart...I bet your ex-commie places came on the list after the commies lost power.

I wonder what will happen to Cuba when Fidel drops dead. Or North Korea if the Kim family is knocked off (or something like that)?? :p

Cheers!

Like most here I have been to some nasty spots.

I'm a Vietnam Vet, and back then some of the places I went were not much fun. Now, they aren't so bad though.

I had a regional job in Africa for five years that necessitated me living there (Gabon and Senegal) and traveling to 23 countries regularly. Some real tough spots there. I was in a plane crash, hit with a rock during a coup attempt, chased by a spitting cobra, had a staph infection inside a fiberglas cast that almost caused me lose my leg, and got food poisoning from eating a critter that should not have been eaten. And, those were the good times. :)

I have been in places in the Middle East (Saudi, Syria, Lebanon) that were not a bed of roses.

Recently, I went to a little garden spot you guys may have heard of called Kabul. Nothing beats flying in on a UN chopper that sounds like a lawn mower on its last legs.

And, yes, a trip to Baghdad seems to be in the cards for me. :nono:

Geez, I think it would be easier for me to list the non-dangerous places I have been! ;)

Sarisin,

Sheeeit ! Have you ever considered writing a book along the lines of my repeated suggestions to Bangkok Phil ? A sort of 'warts-and-all' account of your travels ? I'm sure it wasnt all sex'n'drugs'n'rock-and-roll, but you seem to have lead an 'interesting life', to put it mildly.

JP1--

Macau is one of the few places where we use armed guards to move our volume.. We've had attempted take-overs, attempted car/van-jackings etc... To that end, we moved out of Macau and now handle all of Macau business from across the bay.

--UPSer

Says artiew:

Sarisin,

Sheeeit ! Have you ever considered writing a book along the lines of my repeated suggestions to Bangkok Phil ? A sort of 'warts-and-all' account of your travels ? I'm sure it wasnt all sex'n'drugs'n'rock-and-roll, but you seem to have lead an 'interesting life', to put it mildly.

No, but I am looking for a biographer? Is Phil available? :)

Right now I am focused on the good times here in Thailand and a little hesitant to relive the nasty past by writing about it. That's why I'm writing about 'current events' on the paysite.

By the way, in addition to the not-so-fun trip to Kabul, I did have a great trip to KL, which saw me scoring with (1) a Malay stunner I met on the plane (2) two teeny boppers I met in KLCC (don't ask how old please ::), (3) A Finnish blonde bombshell I met at the Hard Rock across the street from where I was staying and (4) la piece de resistance - a model from Japan who was playing tourist with her friend in KL. I liked the latter so much I followed her back to Tokyo and stayed with her 4 days, thus, sucessfully avoiding the Songkran mess here.

But, shucks, none of this has to do with Thailand and KS won't let me write it up for the paysite. :( And, nah, I wouldn't put it up on Regional Travel either.

One for the biography. :)

Archived