Phuket Crisis

legover

Hi P127,

Yes, for the time being anyway.

But I don`t believe that it is gonna stay this way for long. Actually I don`t understand why tourists react this way.

The Iraqian war is over, SARS is here to stay and people are gonna get used to this new disease which has killed only 2000 people!! (compared to other disesases that has been around for centuries this is absolutely nothing) and when it comes to terrorism it could strike anywhere any time.

But it has also affected my company Scandinavian Airlines Services. We cancel 2 weekly departures and arrivals to and from bkk every week from today.

When I left for bkk 2 weeks ago, I was on an plane that was only half full. Never saw that before.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well by the sound of that lot Phuket should be avoided by me!

I am a cheap charlie at the best of times and detest being harranged by hawkers.

So, heading south - is Songkla/ Hat Yai still reasonably priced..?

Any other trip ideas?

Hi Fripence,

I won`t pretend to know much about economics etc. But I just find it hard to believe that a premier destination like Phuket could remain this way for long.

All right. We could bet. What are the stakes? ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu.

Hi Jacko,

Comparing to Phuket, Hat Yai and even Songkla are rather boring if you ask me.

Go to Trang, it is probably going to be the "new frontier" in a decade or so.

Absolutely beautiful and only with a fraction of the tourists of Krabi. There is only a local "sanuk scene" but I guess you won`t be coming there for that reason anyway. Go se the waterfalls Sairung, Tontee, Roi Chan Phan Wang etc. some of the best I ever saw in thailand. And the islands are unique too. Check out:

Trang islands and beaches

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Guest lazyphil

At the end of my last long stint in los Patong/Phuket was my main stay. I decided before I came home to explore Krabi and fell in love with it. Busy in parts Ao Nang etc but still possible to find quiet little places. that said I'm interested to find similar places and Trang looks lkie the kind of place, cheers for the link!

well Phuket should take a lesson from Toronto on how to deal with a major tourism slump. Because of SARS allot of people from around the world stoped coming to Toronto and the tourism industry got hit, worse then 911. So what the Canadian govnt did was offer free round trip flights from different parts of Canada and the states to Toronto for two weeks. Hotels started doing a 2for1 deal with hotel rooms at a cheap rate for example the royal York was offering stay one night for half price and get the next night free! The theatre industry had a cheap package deal where you can see a show with a free dinner and free stay for 2 nights at any hotel in Toronto. There are currently free big name concerts happening in Toronto also.

Most hotels, nightclubs and restaurants are slashing their prices. Phuket should look at what Toronto is doing to solve their problem because it is working here.

A lot of good sense is being offered on this tread.

Phuket is overpriced compared to other beach resorts in Thai. Agreed.

The airport taxi Mafia is a national disgrace. Agreed.

Tuk Tuk prices are insane (so are the rents the drivers are forced to pay). Agreed.

Many hotels hiked their room prices up to astonomical levels a couple of years ago. Agreed.

BUT, ALL THIS WILL PASS

Due to the current crisis in visitor arrivals many hotels and businesses will go bust and then prices will gradually correct themselves until a new inflationary cycle starts. This is the law of supply and demand.

In the meantime many thousands of suddenly unemployed tourism workers will suffer. Some will lose their homes and move in with relatives. Others will move back permanently to their home villages.

HOWEVER, CERTAIN THINGS WILL REMAIN :

Some of the world's finest sand beaches on the West Coast of the island, including Kata, Kalim, Karon, Kamala, Pansea and many others. Oh yes, I forgot there's also a sandy beach called Patong (whose so called nightlife is by no means indicative of generally what's on offer on Phuket ).

On the East Coast, a number of world class marinas close to fantasic sailing waters and beautiful coral reefs teeming with colourful tropical fish.

A first class all weather airport capable of handling 747's which is due for considerable expansion.

A quaint quarter of Phuket Town in which early 19th. century Chinese shop houses have been sensitively rennovated into boutiques and restaurants.

So its my hunch that in the fullness of time, Phuket will thrive once again as an international jet set resort. I first visited 35 years back, but believe that the island's best days are ahead.

Archived