Phuket Crisis

legover

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says jacko:

[color:"red"] Hmm, someone should tell them that we already have a Majorca and Ibiza.

[/color]

I liked this comment, but I will still take Pattaya over Benidorm!!

Maybe I should have said Pattaya and Phuket. They don't need to recreate the same thing on every space.

Soon there will be no Thai culture, just another materialistic capitalist culture.

Am I becoming too cynical?

[color:"red"] Soon there will be no Thai culture, just another materialistic capitalist culture.

Am I becoming too cynical?

[/color]

Not cynical, a little negative maybe.

For me it all starts with the first MacDonalds on the best corner and a beach that is 'owned' by a Marriot.

They were already materialistic people though.

I think you hit the nail. Forget about the war in Iraq (it's over for almost 2 months) and SARS. The social order crusade brought this place finally down and I predicted that almost 2 years ago.

I remember well, back in 2001, when I was on a 6 months project in KL and I escaped the boredom of KL flying almost every weekend to Phuket and always having a great time there until August 2001 Purachai started his social order crusade.

:onfire:

I still remember when he visited Phuket and closed a disco for a month coz he found a condom on the floor or a restaurant because some guests were dancing, but the place didn't have a entertainment license or of course the infamous closure of the shark club.

Anyway from September on I decided that it is better to spend my weekends in KL before going back to bkk. At least I could get there some drinks after 1am. And so far never returned to Phuket.....

But Phuket is only the start. The government or should I better say this infamous PM fucks up the whole country. In a few years Thailand will be absolutely bankrupt

In Phuket, it wasn't so much Purachai -- who has been out of the picture for months anyway. It's the governor of Phuket who's the real stick in the mud. He closed the Shark Club because of a private party upstairs put on by some Thais. This is the same guv who had a couple tourists arresting for busking, claiming they were working without a work permit. (The poor guys were thrown into gaol, then fined and kicked out of the country.) This guv actually thinks he is helping tourism in Phuket by shutting down bars and banning everyone from having fun!

At this time the biggest problem for Phuket are the warning of terrorist attack from a lot of western country and the SARS phobia. I just talk to girls from my favorite bar last night and they are saying that it is more quiet at this time than after 9/11.

Like in Bangkok you can find a place to drink after 2h00 am but you have to be with Thai friend or lady to find those places. Last March on my trip to Phuket I went back to my room at 6h00 am after a night of fun at a karaoke bar in Patong.

[color:"red"] This is the same guv who had a couple tourists arresting for busking, claiming they were working without a work permit. (The poor guys were thrown into gaol, then fined and kicked out of the country.) [/color]

I wonder if we could get this guy over to the UK and get a few of these bums off our streets.

::

Archived