Phuket Crisis

legover

an international jet set resort

---------------------------------------

Of course, there are some very pricey places tucked in the Phuket hinterland, but I always thought that Phuket was actually a budget and package tourist destination, attracting people who'd find prices quite reasonable, compared to home, as they have very little idea P. prices are 2 or 3 times what other destinations in LOS offer. Now, they are wisening up, and they will look for other budget places in the world (most could not care less what country it's in, as long as there is some kind of exotism coming with it, and locals catering to them), if the Pukhet Island wise men do not rectify the problem. IMO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phuket Island wise men

Pattaya was the meeting place for a cabinet meeting a few weeks ago were they were informed by Chon Buri officials ""this is the worst time (for tour operators)since the birth of pattaya""

They are working very hard to get things moving so i hope Phuket takes a leaf out of thiere book....and soon :up:

Yes, tourism is taking a beating all over Thailand. The thing in Pattaya, as opposed to the Phuket tourist spots, especially Patong, is that it is now a thai city. Take out Beach Rd, Walking ST, and 2nd Rd, and you still have 9/10th of a city "occupied" with thais. Not everyone of them working for the tourist industry.

Says pattaya127:

Yes, tourism is taking a beating all over Thailand. The thing in Pattaya, as opposed to the Phuket tourist spots, especially Patong, is that it is now a thai city. Take out Beach Rd, Walking ST, and 2nd Rd, and you still have 9/10th of a city "occupied" with thais. Not everyone of them working for the tourist industry.

All the more reason for the powers that be in phuket stop sitting on thier hands and get in the ears of Government as Pattaya did and have them have a first hand look and work out a strategy for survival.

Wacking up prices is a short term solution for some to pay the rents.

Long term (not to long we all hope) things will settle down and the numbers will go up,

But if the prices are then to high compared to other asian destinations the travelling public will look elsewhere.

Act now for tommorrow will be too late (a quote from someone..i forget whom :dunno:

Actually, this could be good for Phuket...it could motivate the powers that be to make the place more tourist friendly by improving the infrastructure, cleaning up Patong Bay, eliminating the petty restrictions such as the 2 a.m. closing time and end the harrassment of farang business owners. But that is probably hoping for too much. ::

So we know what the Thai government or the Phuket city fathers should do but what will probably happen? Nothing? And then what. 6 months from now, lets assume SARS has been contained and there are signs the U.S. economy is slowly coming back. Will this be enough? What will Phuket look like in 6 months? One year? or 3-5 years?

My over-riding impression after arriving in Phuket was the mean and sometimes menacing tuk tuk drivers and their very expensive (for Thailand) fare requests. I have no information about whether there is a tuk tuk mafia demanding higher than normal license fees for the tuk tuks there but if the guys in Chiang Mai and Bangkok can accept 100 baht for a journey of a few kilometres then I don't see why it should be any different in Phuket.

In my view the single most significant step the authorities can take to improve the islands problems is to deal with the tuk tuks.

Haven't I read somewhere that they are a millitant bunch going on strike, blocking the roads and demanding rights to transfer certain tour groups?

Spot on

I know a few guys who have lived in Patong for many years.

They informed me that they tried about a year ago to introduce metered taxi's in the area. However this was squashed by the Tuk Tuk mafia.

hilst staying in Patong a friend of mine wanted to take a Tuk Tuk to Phuket town and back. He was getting quoted the same ridiculous fare. Then one guy offered him a fare at about half price. 500bht. The Tuk Tuk driver was then phsicaly stopped from taking my friend by soemone who overheard.

Absolutley disgusting.

It used to be 100 baht just to get in am Tuk Tuk. If there were 2 or 3 they would try to charge 200 - 250 just to go around the corner. :onfire:

I feel sorry for a lot of Thai's who work in tourism who have no control on setting the prices but generaly coudn't give a fuck if the place falls into the sea.

Are we talking about Tuk Tuks or those mini songthaews? I remember going around in the songthaews and not paying more than 20 baht. This was around 1997.

I remember once jumping into an empty one at night. On the way to my destination there was a small party consisting of an older man(a boastful twat) and two Thai ladies.

The songthaew driver asked if he could divert from my route to take the other passengers. I said that I didn't mind.

I jumped into the front seat with him.

On getting out of the songthaew the 'slightly' drunken male tried to hand me a tip of 100 baht(!)

I can assure you, I don't look Thai and I wasn't best pleased.

I explained to him that rather than throwing his money around, he could try a little politeness.

Sounds like things have got a little out of hand now, from seeing the prices that are being quoted now.

Archived