At ja, or bang tee

If my posts come off "Show-off-ish" as you call it, it is not intended.

I'm just trying to share my experiences with the Thai language here.

In response to FF, if one asks "What are you gonig to do this weekend", the most common answer is "Aht Ja Pai Tieow Talay", without the BangTaa and without the Phon/Chan etc.

In reponse to a question like "what are you doing on weekends", the most common answer is "BangTee pai tieow Talay", or "Bang Krang Pai Tieow Talay" without the Phom/Chan and without Aht Ja.

I did not say that your answer are not correct, because in fact they are correct. Still for someone learning like HT, it maybe easier to just learn the simple common sentences first.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi O.

I wasn`t really aiming this at anyone in particular. I am probably as quilty of this as the next guy.

But there is a tendency on this board towards quite a lot of posters want to be right and have the final word. This often doesn`t benefit the original poster, who will be confused at what seems like contradicting opinions.

I'm just trying to share my experiences with the Thai language here

I realize that and it is much appreciated.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Just to keep on the "perhaps" subject ...

I read (in the Phut Phaasaa Thai pages in Bangkok Post) that you could use the word ÃÑé§ (mang, high tone, short) at the end of the phrase at least in the spoken language

i.e. : ¤§ä´éÃÑé§ : "perhaps we can"

Is this word that really currently used ? And in what context ?

ÃÑé§ Is this word that really currently used

Yes, frequently, and it means "Perhaps, Probably, usually used in an answer to a question, not in a statement in itself.

Says orandanodes:

ÃÑé§ Is this word that really currently used

Yes, frequently, and it means "Perhaps, Probably, usually used in an answer to a question, not in a statement in itself.

I would like to see a comprehensive post on the usage of this word.

In my experience, it can be used to mean "somewhat", and is a pure Thai idiom such as "gaw(f)", and is always at the end of a sentence.

I use this word myself, but couldn't explain it's usage very well.

Samak,

I agree, "mang" is informal. Maybe it is translateable to the word "guess so", as in an affirmative answer.

ex.

Q. "Pom yang dit ngern kao mai?"

-Do I still owe him money?

A. "Mai pen rai ra-mang"

- Thats allright (nevermind) I guess.

OK ra mang.

PC.

Archived