At ja, or bang tee

Says orandanodes:

aht XX pen pai dai

If you add JA after the Aht, you got a proper Thai sentence

orananodes,

I have a mountain of documentary and verbal evidence (not at hand) that shows 'aht' by itself as a correct structure. In fact I think you'll find that 'aht' (singular) is more 'proper' than 'aht ja' which I think is more colloquial.

Anyhow logic would suggest that 'aht ja' is concerned with possibilities in the future while 'aht' would cover possibilities of the present and past.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree here.. didn't want to jump on it straight away.. but 'aht' is very common on its own and is of course 'proper' Thai.. ..

Apologize for not being clear on this

ÃÒ¨ is always used in connection with another verb, if the meaning is something like "Could, May, Might", or "Can, Able to".

This other verb of course isn't always "Ja", but can be "Phen" as in Markle's sample.

Aht also means "Brave etc.", in this case syn. with ¡ÅéÒ

In this case Aht does'nt combine with a verb.

Hahahah,

This is all clear as mud.

:: Just kidding. I think I got it.

I'll stick to 'aht ja' = maybe, and "bang tee" = 'sometimes', with 'bang tee" being generaly used at the beginning of a sentence, and aht jai being placed in front of a verb:

"Bang tee phom bai NanaPlaza" = "Sometimes I go NEP"

"Phom kit wa...tawn nee phom aht ja bai NEP" = "I'm thinking that now, maybe I go NEP"

"Phom kit wa ja bai NEP" = I think that I will (in the future) go to NEP".

Is this reasonably correct? ::

HT

Hi,

Just an after-thought relating to word order, as touched on in a previous post. I'm assuming that in Thai, as is such in English, that there are different word orders that are equally correct.

Example in English:

"Tomorrow, I will go to the store". Equally correct is: "I will go to the store tomorrow". Equally correct is: "I will go, tomorrow, to the store". Equally correct is: "I will, tomorrow, go to the store.

Is this same factor, evident in pasa Thai? If so, would explain some of the disagreements here, regarding sentence structure, and usage.

Looking in, from the outside (as a newbie), it seems that when an English speaking person learns Thai, they are governed by the source of their knowledge, which would be, of course, totaly expected. You say "tow-may-tow", I say "to-mha-tow".

You guys have been an 'enourmous' amount of help to me in my endevour to learn. Which I deeply appriciate. Really!

But as of late, I have seen friction here. Which is mai dee loey. As you can see from examples above, there are many ways to express the same statement. None are better than the other....just different. I have learned that pasa Thai is a class language, that mirrors it's society, and class status within. That, in itself, can get us very quickly, off the same page, bringing us back to our various learning sources.

One-upmanship should not be an issue here. We learn here. All of us. Whether you want to admit it, or not. There seems to be no absolute, correct way, to speak the Thai language. Any statement, or sentence, can be structured in a number of ways, dependent on the given situation.

I'm not speaking as a moderator in another forum, but as a board member who values "language", as my lifeline. There is no "right and wrong" way of expressing a thought, in any language, especially Thai, which I believe to have an infinate amount of nuances associated with it, no one being the master of them all.

An open letter, and Sermon over........... ::

HT

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hi,

Just an after-thought relating to word order, as touched on in a previous post. I'm assuming that in Thai, as is such in English, that there are different word orders that are equally correct.

Example in English:

"Tomorrow, I will go to the store". Equally correct is: "I will go to the store tomorrow". Equally correct is: "I will go, tomorrow, to the store". Equally correct is: "I will, tomorrow, go to the store.

This happens mainly with adverbs especially adverbs of time. Unfortunately word order is quite rigid in English especially Subject -verb- object, ajective- noun, etc.

Thai is similar in that changing word order (except in limited cases) conveys a differing meaning.

Looking in, from the outside (as a newbie), it seems that when an English speaking person learns Thai, they are governed by the source of their knowledge, which would be, of course, totaly expected. You say "tow-may-tow", I say "to-mha-tow".

But as of late, I have seen friction here. Which is mai dee loey. As you can see from examples above, there are many ways to express the same statement. None are better than the other....just different. I have learned that pasa Thai is a class language, that mirrors it's society, and class status within. That, in itself, can get us very quickly, off the same page, bringing us back to our various learning sources.

One-upmanship should not be an issue here. We learn here. All of us. Whether you want to admit it, or not. There seems to be no absolute, correct way, to speak the Thai language. Any statement, or sentence, can be structured in a number of ways, dependent on the given situation.

I'm not speaking as a moderator in another forum, but as a board member who values "language", as my lifeline. There is no "right and wrong" way of expressing a thought, in any language, especially Thai, which I believe to have an infinate amount of nuances associated with it, no one being the master of them all.

The one-upmanship is also a good way of getting a clearer idea of the language. Competition eliminates the weaker, less logical arguments and ideas that lack evidence to back them up.

As long as everyone keeps it civil there should be no problems, and people should try to acknowledge when they are wrong or mistaken. :cover:

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hi,

Both 'at ja', and 'bang tee' = "maybe".

What are the proper usages? A friend here who knows a little Thai, says 'at ja' is used more like "probably not', while 'bang tee' is used to mean '50/50 chance'. Also said 'bang tee' is used more often by Thai's.

Is this correct?

Thanks........HT

Whoah... a long and complicated post on a simple issue!

Best way to remember it is 'at ja' meaning maybe and 'bang tee' meaning sometimes. I never use or heard of 'bang tee' meaning 'maybe' but maybe I'm not listening close enough.

Some useful spin-offs:

at ja ben... (it might be...)

na ja ben... (it probably will be...)

bang (some) as in:

bang krang (some occations)

bang khon (some people)

As for 'mang' at the end of a sentence, it's not formal Thai, that's for sure. It's added to show uncertaintly.

Cheers!

Says Hua Nguu:

Sometimes?

Then I would rather use the word Bang Khrang.

I`ve only heard Bang thee meaning mayby.

I shall have too correct that. Bang thee depending on the spelling could also mean some places.

Well thee can mean place or situation, right? Like 'na na thee' meaning rarely.

Ok I just looked it up in my Thai dictionary... it says maybe;sometimes. Doh! =)

Cheers!

Archived