LAN or internet connections in hotel for my laptop

voodoo31

Anybody know of hotels in Bangkok or Pattaya that have LAN connections or internet availability if I bring my own laptop. I want to use my laptop to connect to the internet when in my room at th hotel.

Any information or experience with place that facilitated this would be appreciated

Thanks

voodoo31

>Anybody know of hotels in Bangkok or Pattaya that have LAN connections or internet availability if I bring my own laptop. I want to use my laptop to connect to the internet when in my room at th hotel.

LAN connection is charged rather heavilly comparing to a dial-up. And it won't give you many advantages, except if you want to roam Thai sites (within Thailand).

Almost every hotel at 800+ baht would give you a direct dial.

Unless you have an 1800 number from your company or your ISP, you will have to buy an Internet connection card (7-11, everywhere).

Don't forget to place a comma after the zero to dial out: "0,xxxxx...".

many upper class hotels or service apartments have broadband access or internet access within their LAN. they give it free of charge or charge a small amount. for this you do not need a local dial up number or a remote access number for your ISP in your home country as stated by ttm, but you need according equipment (LAN card or RJ (modular jack) on your PC to connect with the Ethernet cable).

Dial up access you can have in any hotel, that has a phone in your room.

I stayed at the Solitaire in Bkk at the end of Soi 11. They have free lan connection as well as wireless access. The cabled lan access was perfect (especially at no charge). The upscale hotels usually charge up to 1000bht per 24 hour access. Solitaire also has free wireless lan access, although I was disappointed with this as I could only get a very weak signal eventough the access point was just outside my room.

Alternatively as others have mentioned you can just buy the loxinfo or other dial-up package and connect from any room that has direct dial.

Cheers,

Conrad charges 640 baht per 24 hour period but if you dialup with one of loxinfo's prepaid cards you onlr pay nine baht per dialup.

Res gardens in Pattaya has dialup jacks but most older pattaya properties you cant dial out as they still use operators. e.g pattaya center hotel.

Solitaire in BKK was great, highspeed was free but the cable was very short. thai logic.

Unless you have some unique programs on your laptop or will be accessing your business via a VPN, you are proabably better off using one of the many internet cafes. They are fairly cheap and you dont have to worry about lugging a laptop around and then trying to secure it when you leave your room.

Asiahand, Solitaire gave me the short cable too. So i simply asked for a longer one...."no poblem" i was told...they immediately gave me cable that was so long i could roam about anywhere in the room with still way too much cable dangling around (actually tripped up a few cuties....) ;)

The 1000 Bht was what Hyatt Erawan was charging previously. Don't know if they've changed their rates.

"many upper class hotels or service apartments have broadband access "

Can you specify this? I am looking to for a possibility for broadband internet connection form my hotelroom/serviced apartment. Till now i have noticed Sofitel Silom - charge 640 bth /24 hours -, Solitaire and Centre Point Petchburi.

i have seen this advertised and heard this from businesspartners or friends who stayed in such a hotel.

however i can not list what is actually available as i am living myself in a apartment while in Bangkok and things are probably also changing fast as Broadband was not available for reasonable conditions until recently but is now spreading fast.

Archived