Bilingual Luuk Khrueng

Pescator

I just wondered how many of you guys have bilingual kids with thai spouses?

And with bilingual I am referring to thai and another language.

Bilingual Luuk Khrueng

My kids are bilingual

One of my kids is bilingual the other one is not

Mine are not

My kid(s) is/are below the age of 12 months but I expect them to be bilingual

My kid(s) is/are below the age of 12 months but I dont expect them to be bilingual

Too bad the poll options do not allow checking multiple choices as it could be interesting to see whether the kids in question lived in LOS or not.

And yes, I am sure I have left out some options. ::

By the way, just for the record I have 2 Luuk Khrueng and only the younger one speaks thai. His older brother aged 9 years will have nothing to do with thai.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Good poll HN,

my daughter is well below 12 months, but will purely speak Dutch to her and (southern) Thai she'll pick up from the in laws and my wife, English should be no prob since that's how my wife and I communicate, although she starts to pick up the odd Dutch word now.

To my surprise I picked up a booklet at Lotus from Dick Bruna, originally stuff from 1963, a rabbit called Miffy or Nijntje in Dutch. Great stuff, it's in Thai and English, 5 books.

Dick is Dutch and this childhood rabbit traveled all over the world, amazing.

My answer does not apply to Thai, but to bilingual childs. My mother tongue is Italian, my first wife was Spanish and children grew up in a German speaking country.

It is very important that each parent uses always and only one language to talk to his children and the childs shall talk to the parent in the same language.

If you mix languages, then it is a mess and the childs must keep an idiomatic identity for his relations with every person.

My sons speak all three languages and between them they speak German, what they consider their 'mother' tongue, which in reality is their school and freinds language. It is then much more easy for the childs to learn further languages.

The knowledge of languages is one of the biggest asset parents can give to their sons!

Should I have a son (or a daughter) with my actual wife, who is russian, I would talk italian and she will talk russian to the son ...!

why?

i know many families, where parents make conversations within the family in different languages; the kids learn to speak a bit more slowly, mix up sometimes and are a bit confused. but later they can really speak fluently, can think and dream in 2-3 languages

I was raised in Holland by my Portuguese parents.

I spoke Dutch at school and Portuguese at home. Well, I actually spoke Dutch to my brothers as well but Portuguese with my folks.

I'm very happy they taught my how to speak their (my) language.

For example; Spanish is spoken by millions of people and with my Portuguese I'm now able to communicate with these people.

So damn useful. :)

My son is 4yrs old. My wife speaks to him in Thai only and I speak English with him. He can speak both really well and change gears between languages effortlessly. I can speak a bit of Thai, however my son passed me up long ago. I know they are talking about me and laughing and I don't what the hell they are saying ::

Archived