"na cup(krup)"

tonychang

High Thaied made these statements:

I'm not sure about this, but I think dtorng (as in dtorng-gan) is more "need", where ow means "want".

Tawng (my transliteration) just means 'must' but combined as tawng gan means need. I have heard it is a more polite form than ao but cannot say I've heard it used that way.

So you would be saying 'not need', instead of "not want". Don't think that is more polite. Just depends what is applicable depending on the situation. "Mai yaak" would also be "not want", but more formal. I think you add 'die" to the 'yaak' if you want a tangible object, but not if you are saying "I want to go .....". My experience is limited, but I've never heard "mai yaak die', or 'mai dtorng-gan'. I think 'mai ow khrap', with maybe a 'na' thrown in for good measure, is fine.

The simple way to remember use of yaak vs. ao is that yaak is followed by a verb and ao by the object (usually a noun). You can also say yaak dai 'object' which is supposed to be somewhere in politeness between ao and tawng gan but again I'm not sure you will be able to distinguish this in conversation.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Lamock Chokaprret:

yaak dai
'object' which is supposed to be somewhere in politeness between
ao
and
tawng gan

Actually yaak dai is more of a reason for ao(wanting/taking something) It's more wanting simply to possess rather than wanting for any other reason. It's not so much about politeness but the reasons for wanting/needing something.

Note to new learners:

It might be useful to at some point to stop relating the new vocab that you are learning to English concepts of things and try and contextualize it in Thai. I know this is difficult and often confusing but in the end you will have a much better grasp of the language and how it works. I might add that I'm far from perfect at this myself. :banghead:

Hi Steffi,

Naa is usually used when speaking to people you are already familiar with

No, it is not. You can use it with everybody.

By the way it is a short vowel NA ¹à not NAA ¹Ò.

Q. How is La-pow different from Mai

Let me guess, you dont write thai do you? ::

ËÃ×à»ÅèÒ or reuplao is used at the end of a sentence to convey the meaning of "or not"? "So are you going or not?"

A positive answer to this would be Pai and a negative one would be Plao.

Reu on it`s own is used when you want to ask a negative question like: So you are not going then?

Khun ja mai Pai reu? ¤Ø³¨ÃäÃèä»ËÃ×

Jum Pben or ¨Óà»ç¹ is an adjective meaning necessary.

cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Hua Nguu,

Glad this came up????

Reu.....means "or", as in 'reu plao' (or not).

khun chawp bai, reu plao? = 'You like go, or not?'.

------------------------------------------------------

Or, as in "reu yang" = 'or yet?'

'Khao ma tii nii, reu yang?' = She/he/they come here, or yet?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Question is two fold. Thai lady told me 'yang' also means 'not'. Which makes sense. 'Reu yang' question is answered with "yang", for NO. While you would think that 'reu' would be 'yet', it dosen't make sense in answering a question in the negative 'no'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Second question is: 'Reu' as a question tag. "Khun bai" = You go. It's a statement. Does "Khun bai reu" = "you go?"....equal the same as "khun bai mai" = "you go?"

:doah: I'm really confused with this. ::

HT

Hi HT,

The word Yang used when answering a question with Reu Yang means Not Yet.

Concerning Reu versus Mai as a question tag.

It is my impression that questions asked using mai at the end is a neutral question and by that I mean that the person asking the question has no preferences/expectations to what the answer should be.

Whereas Reu is slightly more "loaded"

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Hua Nguu,

Thanks. That does explain a little. I guess I'm confussed in that 'mai yang' (not yet) should be the appropiate reply to a 'reu yang' (or yet?) question tag. I know that I'm thinking in terms of English :(:)

>>>>>Concerning Reu versus Mai as a question tag.

It is my impression that questions asked using mai at the end is a neutral question and by that I mean that the person asking the question has no preferences/expectations to what the answer should be.

Whereas Reu is slightly more "loaded">>>>

By 'loaded', do you mean like 'chai mai' (isn't it/is it not?) might be used? If so.....when would you use 'reu?', as opposed to 'chai mai'?

My only local source is a chinese lady who lived in Thailand, so speaks some Thai (Laos region). She says 'Yang' means 'not', which I know is not correct. "Reu blao" means 'or not'....while 'reu yang' means 'or yet'. But her belief does solve the problem of the 'yang' statement to mean 'not', for a 'reu yang' question. :drunk::dunno:

In other words, why does 'yang' = 'yet', take on a new meaning as 'not yet' when given as an answer?

HT....sorry if I'm not being clear here, but this is really confussing to me. :dunno:

Hi HT,

As a matter of fact answering a Reu Yang question with Yang is just the short form. You could just as well answer it like this: "Khao Maa Teung Reu Yang?" Did he arrive as yet?

"(Khao) Yang Mai Maa!" No, he didnt arrive yet.

Yang also means Still as in "Khao Yang Yuu Nii". He is still here.

When it comes to the question tags Reu and Mai they are actually pretty identical. Just keep in mind that the Reu comes in handy when you wanna ask a negative question like. Khao ja mai pai reu? So he is not going? Here you cannot use Mai as a question tag.

Reu or Lor as it is also often pronounced can also be used on its own to mean "Really?" "Is that so?

In other words, why does 'yang' = 'yet', take on a new meaning as 'not yet' when given as an answer?

That is a tough one, I suggest you ask a thai that question :) But just think of it like this. When you wish to answer a sentence using Yang you can include Mai as well as in the example provided above. That will probably be more logic to you. By the way you are asking for a lot when you are looking for logic when it comes to language interpretation. ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi Hua Nguu,

Great post!. Thank you.

>>>>>>By the way you are asking for a lot when you are looking for logic when it comes to language interpretation.>>>>

Yes....I know. :: Just one last question??

>>>>"(Khao) Yang Mai Maa!" No, he didnt arrive yet.>>>

Literal is: "he/she/they yet not come"

Can you ever say, "mai yang", to mean "not yet"? As in "Khao mai yang maa Krung Thep" = "He not yet come BKK"

I'm thinking not..... :: ::

Thanks for your help with this.

HT

Archived