"na cup(krup)"

tonychang

Says orandanodes:

">>>In these kind of negative questions I hear Reu used all the time<<<

Indeed nothing outdated about it.

It used often and in particular when the person asking a question was expecting the opposite.

In your sample of going somewhre for instance. You plan to go out together and when you're ready to go it looks like the other one isn't getting ready at all.

"Khun Mai Pai Rue?

I have to disagree with you and Hua Nguu. In this situation, I hear LER all the time, and REU PLAO is also very common. It is only rarely that I hear REU alone as a question tag. It sounds old fashioned and is used much less frequently these days.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not getting into the LER, REU discussion, are we??

Ok, you here LER, and we here RUE, and funny enough we are hearing the same word spoken by different people.

Let it rest

See what it does to me. Meant to say "Hear" and ending up with "Here".

If a Thai asks both of us what "ààÇÃì" means and how its spelled in Thai (sorry if my Thai translitearation of an english word is not correct), than we could both end up explaining 2 or 3 different words.

<<<Ok, you here LER, and we here RUE, and funny enough we are hearing the same word spoken by different people.>>>

My point was that LER and REU are different words, not the same word pronounced differently.

Sigh....

When used as a question tag, I hear 99% LER, 1% REU, which I see a lot in old outdated phrasebooks, and which is why I say that using REU as a question tag sounds old fashioned.

<<<Well, actually I hear it used quite often. And on a recent visit to Wichianburi in Phetchabun I noticed to my surprise how the people I talked to almost all pronounced the word Reu the way it is spelled and not like Ler.>>>

If you read the "Is LER a word" thread, you will see that LER is a separate word, and spelled differently.

Maybe the Petchabun people speak in an old fashioned way, but I would imagine they spoke Isaan dialects much more than Thai.

Hi LF,

Maybe the Petchabun people speak in an old fashioned way, but I would imagine they spoke Isaan dialects much more than Thai.

It is a weird mixture. In town most I talked to spoke thai (well, to me at least) but as soon as I entered a Mubaan they would almost all speak Lao (also to me) :rolleyes:

If you read the "Is LER a word" thread, you will see that LER is a separate word, and spelled differently

Hehe. I read that thread and as far as I recall some posters believed it to be a different word and other did not.

I belong to the other category. But let us not go there again. :)

cheers

Hua Nguu

Says luckyfarang:

If you read the "Is LER a word" thread, you will see that LER is a separate word, and spelled differently.

You mean : If you read the "Is LER a word" thread, you will see that I think that LER is a separate word, and spelled differently. while the rest of the Thai speaking world disagrees

:neener:

Archived