"na cup(krup)"

tonychang

Hi HT,

"Khao mai yang maa Krung Thep"

No, that doesnt work :)

You have to alter the sentence into:

"Khao yang mai maa Krung Thep" to make sense.

>>>>"(Khao) Yang Mai Maa!" No, he didnt arrive yet.>>>

Literal is: "he/she/they yet not come"

Or "still not come" which basically would mean the same.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On further thought, maybe 'mai' only negates a verb, or an adverb, when placed in front of it? That's why it won't work when placed in front of 'yet'?

English was my worst subject, as you can probably tell.

DAMN! This was my only ticket to work, and live, in LOS. :cussing::banghead: :onfire:

HT

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hi Hua Nguu,

Glad this came up????

Reu.....means "or", as in 'reu plao' (or not).

khun chawp bai, reu plao? = 'You like go, or not?'.

------------------------------------------------------

Or, as in "reu yang" = 'or yet?'

'Khao ma tii nii, reu yang?' = She/he/they come here, or yet?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Question is two fold. Thai lady told me 'yang' also means 'not'. Which makes sense. 'Reu yang' question is answered with "yang", for NO. While you would think that 'reu' would be 'yet', it dosen't make sense in answering a question in the negative 'no'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Second question is: 'Reu' as a question tag. "Khun bai" = You go. It's a statement. Does "Khun bai reu" = "you go?"....equal the same as "khun bai mai" = "you go?"

:doah:
I'm really confused with this. ::

HT

HT -

Here is my take on all of this:

KHUN YAK PAI REU PLAO?

I think that CHAWP does not work here, so I am using YAK. Using CHAWP would change the meaning to something more like "do you like going" rather than "would you like to go".

There are several correct negative responses to this, 'PLAO' or 'MAI PAI' or 'MAI YAK PAI'.

---------------------------------

KHAO MAA THEE NEE, REU YANG?

YANG translates literally as 'Still', never as 'yet' or 'not'. It is only changed over to 'yet' in the translation of certain idioms.

In this case, REU YANG is short for REU YANG MAI MAA, and the negative reponse here of YANG, is short for YANG MAI MAA or 'still not come', which as an idiom, is often translated as "not yet".

Another very common highly idiomatic negative response you hear very often is "YANG LOEI" which the closest possible translation would be "Still, not at all".

As far as I know, there is no Thai word that translates literally as "yet".

-----------------------------------

REU translates literally as "or". I'm sure you read the earlier threads on REU vs LER, and Is LER a real word?

I'll probably receive criticism from you know who on this, but REU as a question tag is very rarely ever heard being used nowadays, and is rapidly becoming outdated and oldfashioned, not really a part of modern spoken Thai. There is another outdated question tag I've seen in older books: REU MAI, which is short for "REU MAI MAA" in the above example.

In real everyday speech, the average Thai would simply say "PAI MAI?" and "KHAO MAA REU YANG?", almost completely dropping the REU, you wouldn't even hear it, there would be no 'R' sound at all, and they would just lengthen the word MAA.

As a question tag, REU has been nearly completely replaced with LER®, which also has a completely different meaning when used alone.

Used alone, LER® can mean, "Really?" or "Is that so?".

As a question tag, LER® indicates that the one asking the question thinks he already knows the answer to the question, whereas using "MAI(h)" indicates he does not.

Hope this helps.

Says markle:

'krup pom' is more formal than simply polite.

Both Krap and Krap Pom are very polite but neither of them are formal at all.

Both are used by the lowest peasants and beggars as part of every day language.

The main difference between the two is that KRAP is used between equals, or by men to someone fairly close in status while KRAP POM is used to indicate that the speaker is of far lower status than the person spoken to.

It is also used to indicate obedience, when responding to an order from a superior. It might be considered a bit cheeky or brash to use KRAP in response to a direct order from a superior.

KRAP POM might also be used when addressing a man's parents or grandparents, to indicate excessive politeness and good upbringing.

It is almost never proper for a farang to use KRAP POM. I sometimes use it jokingly when a girl orders me to do something, when I might respond KRAP POM® KHUN MAE(f)! (Yes, Mother!)

Not to anyone in particular, but interesting to see all these attempts at translating a single word. Yang (厤) in this case.

Markle maid an excellent statement.

>>>>Note to new learners:

It might be useful to at some point to stop relating the new vocab that you are learning to English concepts of things and try and contextualize it in Thai.<<<<

The word Yang can mean anything like "Still, yet, not yet, or something like that. But one needs the full sentence in order to translate properly.

Some samples of the use of Yang

Yang mai ruu = don't know yet

Yang ron Yuu = its still hot

Yang Yuu = still (living) here

Rue yang = or not yet

Or how about

Yang Mahk = maximum, no more than

Yang Noi = minimum, not less than, at least

Krap Pom is in cases (as Markle mentioned) more formal than the polite Krap, but Krap Pom can also be more playfull that the polite Krap when used with friends or GF's (as LF mentioned).

Soldiers, police will often say Krap Pom to their superiors.

Na Krap is often used at the end of statements (explaining things). An expert explaining something on TV will use this almost after every sentence.

It often comes out Na Gha (close to the female Kha), but wioth a much shorter "a".

Hi LF,

but REU as a question tag is very rarely ever heard being used nowadays, and is rapidly becoming outdated and oldfashioned, not really a part of modern spoken Thai

Well, actually I hear it used quite often. And on a recent visit to Wichianburi in Phetchabun I noticed to my surprise how the people I talked to almost all pronounced the word Reu the way it is spelled and not like Ler.

So I just wondered how would you say a sentence like:

Are you are not going? in thai?

In these kind of negative questions I hear Reu used all the time.

cheers

Hua Nguu

">>>In these kind of negative questions I hear Reu used all the time<<<

Indeed nothing outdated about it.

It used often and in particular when the person asking a question was expecting the opposite.

In your sample of going somewhre for instance. You plan to go out together and when you're ready to go it looks like the other one isn't getting ready at all.

"Khun Mai Pai Rue?

It is almost never proper for a farang to use KRAP POM.

I have heard this before and simply disagree. Even as a farang, replying to an employer krap pom when issued a command is completely appropriate. I still remember a news show I saw early after my move here. A Thai news show was interviewing a farang who spoke fluent (or damn near) Thai. He frequently responded to questions with krap pom and as far as I could tell nobody laughed. Not even the folks watching it with me.

And I can't imagine it hurting if you were to reply to a policeman that way.

Says Lamock Chokaprret:

"It is almost never proper for a farang to use KRAP POM."

Luckyfarang

I have heard this before and simply disagree. Even as a farang, replying to an employer krap pom when issued a command is completely appropriate. I still remember a news show I saw early after my move here. A Thai news show was interviewing a farang who spoke fluent (or damn near) Thai. He frequently responded to questions with krap pom and as far as I could tell nobody laughed. Not even the folks watching it with me.

And I can't imagine it hurting if you were to reply to a policeman that way.

I stand by my statement. Notice that I used the words "almost never".

If your intention was to sound obsequious, or you're a farang responding to a command from an employer that you're not all that friendly with or close to in social status, that would be a possible exception.

My statement was made to help those just learning the language, to help prevent themselves from sounding silly.

I think that many Thais sound silly using KRAP POM, when kowtowing to some stuffed shirt or kissing up to some self appointed authority figure, or in an attempt to feign good breeding.

Archived