Why in the Hell was BED so crowded last night?

JJsushi

Went to BED last night for my fix of more urban American music and was amazed at the line outside at 12am! What was going on that night? I had to sneak in the back through the kitchen with 2 GTG's in tow to get in because there was no way in hell I was going to queue outside for an hour or more. The only good thing about it was my friends were excited because we were bypassing the line (GTG's get excited about the silliest things).

They thought I had "connections" when the funny part about it was that I noticed another group doing the same thing(You learn this quick if you are into the NYC nightlife) walked up to one guy shook his hand asked what was going on with the crowd, waited until he followed his friends and then motioned to my friends to follow me.

The place was packed and hot. You couldn't even move.

Still a good time though and still not a pick up joint(yet).

Has Hip Hop music really become this popular in BKK?

Says jjsushi:

The only good thing about it was my friends were excited because we were bypassing the line (GTG's get excited about the silliest things).

What are you talking about? I get excited about things like that! It sounds like Ray Liotta taking his new girlfriend in through the backway in Goodfellas.. ::

A buddy of mine that is the head chef there says that HIP_HOP

is the rage. Tuesday night goes richter-Lots of "cool "dudes with baggy pants-the whole deal -Reminds me of LA years (15)ago- I think it is rather entertaining but well er really just more posturing for most people I think yet still fun. On the other hand many black bros are there working the scene to their advantage-casue its so natural to them- seems to work better.

They are always way behind here Conceptual art is DEAD in Europe but all the rage here- But at least it gets here eventually... ::

The hip hop scene in bkk is picking up, but its got a long way to go. All the clubs I checked out back in January were playing the same commercial shit getting heavy radio rotation here in the states. I think the thais constant need to be associated with whats fashionable, which hip hop is at the moment, will prevent any outside genre from fully developing there. Once the new "in" music style comes along, the old will be all but forgotten.

[color:"red"] The hip hop scene in bkk is picking up, but its got a long way to go ... constant need to be associated with whats fashionable, which hip hop is at the moment[/color]

I agree with this.

I think it is hilarious that there are several places (gyms, clubs, dance studios) that are now offering hip hop dancing classes now. It is very popular among the Thai young adult crowd to go and "study" how to dance to this music.

It is also funnuy to talk to Thais about the differences between hip hop, rap and R&B. They think they have it all figured out in a very simple way, when most people in the scene back in the West still argue about the differences, or even if there is any.

It is both funny and annoying at times, but you gotta love em for trying so hard.

There seemed to be a lot of parties last night. Q bar was booked for a private party and judging from the cars outside a lot of the hi-so set were inside.

However THE party last night (Wed 25th) was in the Regent hotel for the Dior fashion show that took over the Madison steak place. The aftershow party carried on until 4 am and there were some stunning models hanging around.

I was in Aqua bar in the courtyard watching Paradon play his tennis match on the huge TV. Sat on the table next to mine was aging pop star "Bird" who was very kindly handing out some of Cuba's finest cigars.

MSB

Archived