Are the BKK elephants all gone?

I haven't seen any elephants wandering the streets of Bangkok for months. Are they all gone now? I know a city is no place for an elephant, but I miss a glimpse of them from time to time.

I wondered the same on my recent trip where I for the first time in ages DID not see a single one in central bkk, but did see a few in a row walking on the expressway ramp north of the airport in rangsit area :eek:

A recent trip report I think by jittle or jaiguru mentioned a elephant :dunno:

The middle of this month outside Thermae at closing time there was a big Elephant. I spoke with the Mahout and he said it was a big female 54 years old. I asked him where the elephant Pahk,stayed and he said some expressway I don't know. This was the biggest elephant I think I've seen on Sukumvit. There was also one outside Nana Plaza around the beginning of the month. I too haven't seen as many lately and there was a younger one on Sukumvit that knows me. I know I probably shouldn't but I usually buy a snack for the elephant and feed it to him myself. I really like the Elephants despite nearly sliding off a mountain Chiang Rai in a rainstorm on the back of one a couple of years ago.

See trip reports 'Golden Triangle"

LL

Amazing! I had the identical experience you had, so I just reposted your post. Only needed to substitute one word.

The middle of this month outside Thermae at closing time there was a big BG. I spoke with the Mahout and he said it was a big female 54 years old. I asked him where the BG Pahk,stayed and he said some expressway I don't know. This was the biggest BG I think I've seen on Sukumvit. There was also one outside Nana Plaza around the beginning of the month. I too haven't seen as many lately and there was a younger one on Sukumvit that knows me. I know I probably shouldn't but I usually buy a snack for the BG and feed it to her myself. I really like the BGs despite nearly sliding off a mountain Chiang Rai in a rainstorm on the back of one a couple of years ago.

HERE IS A COPY OF A POST I PUT ON THE BOARD LAST YEAR REGARDING ELEPHANTS... ANYONE THINKING OF FEEDING THESE 'CITY' ELEPHANTS... PLEASE DON'T.

FLY P.

It appalls me to see these elephants in Bangkok, (and other major centres, but Bangkok's the worst). I work with elephants and mahoots on a regular basis through the Elephant Conservation Centre in Lampang, (a minimum on once a week), and they tell me stories about the elephants coming to work in the city. Most of them are ex-working elephants used in illegal logging operations and the like. Once the logging has been closed-down or the area they were working in stripped of trees, the elephants and their mahoots are unemployed. This is when they bring these beautiful beasts to the city. Almost without exception, the elephants you see in Bangkok are doped up-to-the-eyeballs on downers to keep them quiet. If they weren't they would totally freak out with all the people, traffic and general environment of a place like Bangkok. Next time you see one in the city, have a look at its eyes. You'll see the pupils dilated, eyes widened and probably lots of mucus dripping from the elephant's trunk. This is a classic sign of drug-use. I couldn't believe I saw one when I came out of Nana Plaza the other night. I also couldn't believe I saw farangs buying bananas to feed it. I blame ignorance. If people knew the story of these beasts, and what was being done to them, they'd avoid supporting them. I ask you to do the same. Its a tough call as the mahoot needs the money to survive too, but at least if he isn't getting support in the city, he will take the elephant back to a rural area to look for work. Its hard enough going to the "Friends of the Asian Elephant Hospital" in Lampang, and seeing an elephant having withdrawal symptoms due to amphetamine addiction, (they are given a speed-like drug when working in logging so they can work longer hours), but it is also heart-breaking to see these beautiful beasts of the wild in the wrong jungle - Bangkok. Please don't condone this practice. Thanks. Fly.

:down:

Archived