Why does one become a Monk.

sky brow

I was talking to my g/f today and the subject of Monks came up.Out of curiosity I asked her if any of her family were Monks.Full time Monks devoted to the religion.Her answer was a short NO.G/F went on to say that her family had worked all there life in good jobs and there was no need to become a monk.I was suprised at this answer.This posed the question -Do people join the Monkhood because of their religious beliefs and to make a better life for themselves.ie. A major life decision or is it out of desperation and no jobs.G/f went on to say that she doesnt respect or trust Monks these days.From that I wonder if there would be as many monks in Thailand if the country had more jobs and prosperity.

Fire away

sky brow. :)

Hi,

From what I understand criminals do sometimes flee into monkhood to avoid the law / rivals. There have also been a fair amount of stories about monks 'living the good life' (ones I recall: a monk frequenting karaoke bars and one story of a monk shagging the soi dogs (literally!)).

I think it is also fairly common for older men to turn to a life in a temple to unburden their children.

I have no idea how many men chose a life as a monk from a young age, but I would expect that it is declining. I also do not think that men turn to monkhood because they cannot find a job, especially the young ones.

Sanuk!

KS,

I can relate to your first few lines,I have heard similar stories too.Yeh ,it just suprised me that my g/f came out with that answer.I realise there are other avenues for men to opt for the Monkhood.I agree that I dont think your average guy would become a monk because he has no job.

sky brow

Also,

if someone from a family dies, then any male member of that family (even far out relatives) become monks for a period. The reason for this is, that the monk can take the soul of the deceased person "by the hand" and help him, or her find the right way to heaven.

If the monk has a busy daily life, then even three days of monkhood are sufficient to fulfill that procedure.

PC

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

From what I understand criminals do sometimes flee into monkhood to avoid the law / rivals. There have also been a fair amount of stories about monks 'living the good life' (ones I recall: a monk frequenting karaoke bars and one story of a monk shagging the soi dogs (literally!)).

Oh man, that is the nastiest thing I have heard in ages, even worse than the miscreant activities of the Anglican and Catholic Churches in Australia. Think I need a stiff drink, I am never going to look at a Thai monk the same again! :eek:

just the old problem with organised religion, not to confuse with the philosophy behind - it is just individuals.

same here same there.

abuses of monkhood have been known in any religion in all times.

i have been for a while in a monastry boarding school up in the mountains. we had some real bastards there who posed as monks, a few who i suspect just escaped into the monkhood because they just could not face themselves and the real world.

and then there were a few truly good men (who made life there a bit less difficult for me).

many people expect from asia that just because they are "buddhists" or "hindu" that they all must be especially holy - pure escapism, but far from reality - they are just humans.

what was always the dalai lama's answer to those kind of convertees? he discourages people from converting saying that whatever they are looking for can be much easier found in their own religions as they do not have to get used to a completely different culture first.

Archived