schooling

pattaya127

how do you parents or prospective fathers plan to school your kids. I am ready to pay for a private school so my GF's kid gets somewhere and learns efficiently. In about a year, she will be ready for high school. She's been talking about being a nurse, and also her Mom thinks at some point she could join the Army and be a nurse there. What's the best schooling to prepare her for these possibilities?

Glad you posted this as I was going to start a similar thread, but may as well keep it together, plenty of teachers here on the board that should be able to give some good advice about schools,

I wanted to know about thoughts and views or advice on different schools that teach all or part with an English curriculum from pre school and upwards, best schools, bad schools in and around the BKK area,

hope I did not hijack your thread :)

Says racha:

I wanted to know about thoughts and views or advice on different schools that teach all or part with an English curriculum from pre school and upwards, best schools, bad schools in and around the BKK area,

Hi racha,

Bangkok Patana is "The British International School" and is very good. It is in Bang Na area, all teaching is in English and it caters for all ages - kindergarten to 18. Phone 02398 0200.

Fees are around 100,000 baht a term - three terms a year.

There is New International School on Sukhumvit Soi 15 - others around the city also.

Khwai

depends on what you want to pay

Biliguual programs are up and coming.. there are 41 schools in BKK now with them. About 80,000- 300,000 per year.. most lower range

Problem with them is that they are all thai students and follow the thai cirruculum.. ok if the student wants to stay in thailand or international programs in thai universities. English levels are not that great since the kids speak thai to each other..

International schools are 300,000-400,000, most are qualified teachers but still may not be up to par. pediophiles etc.. Students level of English should be close to native speaker.

They all should be the same standard so choice if you want your child to go through british or american systesm

The best kindergarder is rearded to be "naughties" ( name may be wrong , since I am having a memory blank)

The Thais can do K- 6 quite well, upper levels they turn into drones and can not think!!!!

If the child is staying in thailand, a name brand school is a must and the ONLY key to success. Satits, Triumdoms, catholic schools are the top

Most expats I know are planning to send the kids to a thai chinese school.. just to get the 3 languages down and then overseas later on..

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Nursing- at the end of Mor 3( grade 9 ) the student will choice which stream they want to go into 1) academic - university bound- take either a) science B) langauge and maths c) languages or 2) college.. they will start their speciality programs.. Nursing is a 5 year program starting at grade 10 at a nursing college.. So no need for international or other schools..

Probably best to get a job at a private hospital they pay about 20K per month compared to peanuts in the military.

Even though I know this is primarily related to families in Thailand I thought I'd answer since it is an important subject to me here in the States.

I'm absolutely planning to send my son to private schools no matter where we are living when he is of age to enter elementary school (1st grade in the US - age 6). He currently attends a pre-school where they teach even the youngest kids to identify letters and numbers and develop language skills. He is now 18 months old and starting when he is 2 they introduce Spanish. This will give him English, Spanish and Thai by the time he enters the 1st grade.

The public school systems vary in quality severely throughout the US. And as can be imagined the more affluent the community the better the school system. By that I mean that if I were still living in Massachusetts in one of the more affluent communities there I'd have no problem putting my son in public school. Unfortunately I'm in Florida and the vast majority of schools here are sub par.

I'm less concerned with the college my son my son may some day be capable of entering as I am concerned with his ability to reason and think for himself. Although it would probably kill my mother I'm seriously thinking of sending him to one of the better Jesuit schools. Although I'm not Catholic I know from experience that the Jesuits are experts in imparting the tools necessary to think for oneself.

One does not need to send his kid to some expensive private Thai, so called international school with some international program on the sole basis that it teaches subjects in English. This is bull, no offence to anyone, but Thais ain't the greatest teachers on the planet and certainly most will not have a clue what "child centered learning" really involves. So you're basically paying loads, for crappy education. Like someone suggested, Pattana and some others are the real deal. The so called Thai international schools are nothing but businesses with some farang-pretending teachers on the job (not all bad though)

BTW I am French. I started learning English when I was 19, yes 19 years old, and believe that it's best to send one's kid to a decent but normal Thai private school as opposed to sending it to some expensive Thai international school, and later when the kid is say around 14, send it for 6-12 months to stay with a host family, in say Australia. And later when the kid has grown a little older, chosen his field of studies, you can always move him to some British or Australian University abroad. Thai education in general is of very low standard for many factors which I will not discuss now (too tired). Yes, and even those "famous" satits and udoms suck in my humble opinion. All about prestige rather than education...

Hi Kwaimaisabai,

I must say that I'm fairly shocked to see these kind of rates per term. 100K is steep IMO. Than again, in Holland there's a different set up in the education field and I've never been exposed in any way to private tuition, so don't know about prices neither.

It's still far ahead in time for my little one before she hits the schoolbanks, but when that time arrives, I hope that there'll be a few more options in Samui.

Although the current options aren't too bad as far as I know right now. Still orientating myself on the market.

Have some of you with children in LOS considered moving back to your home country in order to get better education (options) for your children? Has somebody actually done this?

Archived