Real Madrid in BKK: Please Post Developments Here

frogpatrol

"It was not revealed in the papers he was a boyhood fan of the Reds till he himself said so. Every news article sited his connection to n. London via his wife's family. Was it common knowledge he was a Liverpool supporter before he signed? Maybe so, all I could go by are news paper articles"

Ian Rush said that when he was at Leeds,Kewell asked him to get him a signed Liverpool shirt,as he had always been a fan.

also photos of him as a young boy wearing Liverpool shirts.

and i think family considerations were more important to him.

his wife is a successfuk actress working in Yorkshire and her career is important to her.

moving to Liverpool means not having to uproot the family.

there were some rules concerning foreign players in the English Leagues a little while back,but i forget what they were.

when English teams returned to European action in the early 90's after the ban following the Heysel tragedy,they were victims of a FIFA rule.

a team could have no more than 4 players born outside their country in the team for European matches.

this affected the English greatly,as Welsh,Scottish and Irish were classed as foreign.

it was the start of the PL and the influx of the foreign players to the English game.

in Europe Utd suffered as they had quite a few players who did not fit the criteria.

they could not play Cantona,Irwin,Giggs,Hughes,Schmeichel,Keane in the same team.

but because of this rule,it led to the blooding of Beckham,Butt,Scholes etc at an early age.

The only Ian I read about is Ian Wright ::

I'm aware of that old rule, on a footie board someone said that la Liga clubs can't field more than 3 non EU players at the same time. They can have 4 or 5 I think. don't know if that's so

Seems like ronaldinho will come to man utd, although i hope not. Barca is in the race but i've got more money than they have. Man Utd and Chel-ski are the only clubs that have that kind of pocket money right now and Ronaldinho is not an aging former star so the Blues won't be interested ::

Ian Wright can never be compared to Ian Rush.

Rush played for a team which was successful in Europe.

Wright cannot say that.

it looks like Rodaldinho is now a UTD player,but i am still not sure abiut him.

people think UTD have the money,but this is not true.

PLC companies fuck it all up.

i had to smile when i saw the claim thet Chelsea were now the best team in Europe because of the supposed money they had.

what European trophies have they won recently?

their record in Europe is better then Real Madrids?

how successful have they been in the PL?

they base this claim on buying an 18 year old from West Ham with 16 appearances in the PL.

buying a reserve from Real Madrid.

both overpriced.

other offers for players have been rejected.

• 2 weeks later...

August 10th in Bangkok it is. But, of course, I work all day and night on the 10th so I will miss the match. Damn!

Maybe the audience will be treated to another 60 minute first half as in the Liverpool match. What the hell happened there?

For those who decide to brave the massive Thai audience, enjoy the match. I am distressed I won't be there.

froggo

Related but are the Real Madrid kits with Beckham's name on sale yet? A friend of mine who is a fan of his asked me but not being in the kingdom at this time, I don't know. Also, what about the new Arsenal away strip?

Rumour has it that both Liverpool and Real Madrid will be on tour in America next year but I doub it will happen as the 'meat' of both clubs will be involved in Euro 2004 championships.

Froggo, and others, one tour does not a supporter base make but do you guys think that Real Madrid can build a base a supporter base in Asia? Personally, I think until they show their games overseas it will never happen. Man Utd was smart about giving access away overseas. Real Madrid seems a bit too greedy to see past the quick dollar IMO.

Archived