Cost of Travel In Your Country-Or Why Go Overseas

Torneyboy

Cost of domestic travel in my country OZ is very expensive.

If you have to travel ""instant purchase"" or same day it is cheaper to travel overseas.

If book and pay 5/7/14/21 days in advance the cost comes down or if package the holiday will be less expensive.

I know we have a large country and time of some flights can be 4 hours or more.

Trains operate all over of course but time is the problem if only have a week or so off work.

We need more competitors in the Air to bring cost down for the travelling public ,but only 19 million population may be some time before we get a fair pricing for air travel IMO.

What is it like in your country re:Domestic or hang on i can go to LOS or wherever for same or just a little more? :dunno:

TB,

I almost agree with you - Virgin have made domestic air travel a lot more attractive. The killer, for mine, is the cost of accommodation and even food - so much cheaper in Asia, generally speaking, even when paying tourist prices.

I doubt that you will find 4-star accommodation in most parts of Oz for under $100 per night (add 50% for major cities) - I know what that kind of money buys you in China and Thailand (OK - Singapore and HK are another matter). No contest :)

Still, we do have an obligation to see our own country, particularly as the changes of the last 20 years have already changed so much of it irrevocably. Another 20 and we may as well hoist the Stars'n'Stripes on every main street - would you like fries with that ?

"What is it like in your country re:Domestic or hang on i can go to LOS or wherever for same or just a little more? "

There is no contest in my country. The cost of everything here is crazy. And I love travelling. Airfares within Norway is very expensive, due to licenses which domestic airlines get.

So, outside Norway it is for me and the majority of other Norwegians as well.

Cheers!

A shame really that people cant see all of there own country because of internal costs.

We have many beautifull places to see in OZ but if can go overseas for same or not much more so be it.

A lot of income lost to other countries due to the prices charged by airlines and hotels etc. :doah:

Says artiew:

TB,

I
almost
agree with you - Virgin have made domestic air travel a lot more attractive. The killer, for mine, is the cost of accommodation and even food - so much cheaper in Asia, generally speaking, even when paying tourist prices.

I doubt that you will find 4-star accommodation in most parts of Oz for under $100 per night (add 50% for major cities) - I know what that kind of money buys you in China and Thailand (OK - Singapore and HK are another matter). No contest
:)

Still, we do have an obligation to see our own country, particularly as the changes of the last 20 years have already changed so much of it irrevocably. Another 20 and we may as well hoist the Stars'n'Stripes on every main street - would you like fries with that ?

Artiew i would love to drive around the whole country stop off a day or two here and there take 2 months or so would be fantastic.

But at what cost.

Crazy IMO we can not see our own country first befor going overseas.

Think about the students that just finished year `12 what do they do ?

Defer uni for a year and head for the old dart or europe for a year travelling.

So after that a few nights in Broken Hill just not stand a chance.

Air travel in the UK as become very cheap over the last 2 years, especially to EU countries, so much so it recently cost me more to drive to the airport and park my car for three days than it did to fly to Milan including 2 nights accomodation at a tourist class hotel. You can fly from the UK to many EU capitals for around 1500 to 2000 baht return fare (not a typo) with airlines such as Buzz, Ryan Air, and Go ect. As I said before the most expensive part of the journey is usually getting to from the airport. :beer:

Archived