What the nerve of some Thai?s

Alfmaz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS--

Had a very similar thing too... She and I went to the buffet dinner at the Oriental Hotel. While I went back to the buffet line, an older (50+) farang guy (who was eating with an older farang lady) stopped by my table and left a piece of paper in front of my TF.. I saw this happen out of the corner of my eye... After getting my food (I have my priorities!) I came back to the table and asked her "what was that about?" She opened the paper and it said "... you are beautiful. Can we have drinks? Call me, room #xxx... "

She stood right up, went over to the man's table (the older lady was sitting with him), slammed the note down on the table, writing side up, told him (in english, in a VERY loud voice) "You are rude and not nice, what does your wife think about you asking me for a date?"... :cussing::censored:

Of course, it turned out that the older lady WAS in fact this mans wife... She immediately stood up and left the restaurant.... alone.... :doah:

After reading this older man the so-called 'riot act' she came back to the table and grabbed me by the hand and told me 'we are leaving now.'... Of course, I said "Yes dear" (I am already well trained ::)

I paid the tab and we left...

Amazing that when some of us go on vacation, so do our manners...

--UPSer

>>>Must make for some interesting household discussions <<<

well, yeah,...those 'discussions' usually keep the neighborhod awake as well... :o

but a few people have already had to suffer from misjudging my missus as some docile little nothing - the last one was a former neighbour who called her a not very nice word and suddenly found himself on the receiving end of a large stick...served him bloody right. :grinyes:

Says LondonFun:

I put a post up a few weeks ago about a similar thing happening to me in Bangkok. While the guy wasn't so persistent, I too was pretty enraged about the audacity of it afterwards. I think most Thai girls would receive a note on the spur of the moment out of politeness and put it in their pocket to save embarrassment to all - whether they'd follow up on it or not depends on the girl's integrity. I would definitely prefer a girl to rip up the note in front of the guy and/or embarrass him in front of her boyfriend, but I don't think this would be deemed as a very "Thai" way of dealing with the situation. Easier to slink off quietly and let the slimey sod think he's done good. :onfire:

Your sentiment doesn't appear to be the same as to what you posted in my recent thread. :neener:

Oh no, two completely different scenarios there (as I think you know already ;) ):

This one: I'm clearly together with my gf/date with no other women friends around, and a Thai guy gets a waiter to hand her his number...twice. That's bad manners and he deserves to lose face massively.

The other thread: I'm with a group of females, possibly liking one of them, and a farang starts a convo with another in the group. No probs at all. I'm not a cockerel looking after his hens, but if I see MY hen clucking around with another cockerel then she's not a good enough bird to be with me in the first place. :doah:

UPSer,

Your wife seems assertive to take this action. I like that when the situation demands it. Unfortunately I think more GTGs need to be assertive like this (insults by motortaxi drivers, passing guys, farangs in bars etc.) to stop lowlife from thinking they can get away with it. Some seem to be just too timid to stand up for themselves and cause a small scene - they'd prefer to cry about it after the event instead :-(

I guess somewhere in between a farang woman's assertiveness and a typical Thai "do nothing, ignore it" attitude would be ideal. Are there any courses for this?!

Archived